Chapter 8-Fallen

"Good morning, Y/n." Alma said when she noticed you leaning against the doorframe. "How are you?"

"Tired. Have you already started breakfast?"

She hummed and walked over to you. "No, not yet." She wrapped her arms around you and hid her face in your shoulder.

"Are you alright, Alma?"

"I'm tired too." She admitted. "I couldn't sleep last night. I had.. other things on my mind." She said, suspiciously pausing a moment in the middle of her sentence.

"Fair. But for now we should start breakfast."

—————

"Miss Peregrine!" Millard yelled as he ran over to where you and Alma were talking. Reset had just ended and the children were supposed to be going to bed. "Me and Hugh went to the village."

"Hugh and I." She corrected, purely out of habit. "Sorry, continue."

"Anyway, he took one of your matches and set the pub on fire. The landlords got him tied up!"

"You've got to be kidding me. The next reset won't be for an entire day! I'm going to have to kill him again, aren't I?" She spoke mostly to herself. "Very well. Get inside. If the police come, no one answer. Lock all the doors and windows, I have a spare key." Millard nodded, and you could only tell because of his hat, and he ran off towards the house. "Y/n, care to come with?"

You shrugged. "I don't see why not. A whole lot less boring then sleep."

The walk was quiet and quick paced. You'd be lying if you said the both of you didn't occasionally start running. You wanted to get to Hugh before the landlord did something stupid or handed him over to the police. Luckily when you reached the pub the fire had been put out and Hugh was still there.

"Hello gentlemen." Alma said politely as she walked into the slightly damaged pub, finding the landlord and bartender were both standing next to her tied up ward.

"Miss Peregrine." The landlord said as though the words were poisonous. "You need to get your crazy barbarians under control."

"Please do not refer to my charges as crazy. And they're only barbaric on occasion, I assure you." You nearly laughed at her sickeningly sweet tone. They were most definitely always barbaric.

"Your kids must be as insane as you are." The bartender muttered, unaware of Miss Peregrine's sharp hearing.

"I am not insane, sir, I assure you. Now, if you could release my ward, it'd be much appreciated."

"Not happening. Not without payment in return." The landlord said with a glare, grabbing the back of the chair Hugh was tied to and tipping it a bit.

"Well of course. I'll pay for any damage caused."

"And what do I get for letting him go?"

"You're asking for ransom? You must be kidding me." She sighed, finding he was serious. "How much?"

"Five hundred. No less." She shook her hand and pulled a small pouch out of the pocket of her dress. She opened it and pulled out a crap ton off money, counted some off and handed it over to the landlord. "And is this enough to pay for the damages too?"

"I'm fairly certain it is. But if I'm wrong I'll come back down and pay more." The landlord nodded to the bartender, who took a knife and quickly cut the rope that bonded Hugh to the chair. As soon as he was free he jumped up and ran over to his headmistress, giving her a hug. "Run home, be quick. Take this key and let yourself in. Leave it unlocked Y/n and myself will be right behind." She pulled a key out of another pocket and handed it to the boy. Before he could run off she spoke again. "We'll be having a serious talk tomorrow." He nodded and ran off, you and Alma left the pub and began walking home at a much slower pace then when you'd been rushing to get there.

"I feel like it got colder out since we've been in the pub." You mentioned, holding your arms closer to you.

"That's because it probably has. Here, take my jacket." She took it off and held it out to you. When you tried to object she insisted further. "I have long sleeves anyway. You do not. I'll be fine." You gave in, taking the jacket from her and slipping in onto your shoulders. You looked at her for a moment, lost in thought. "Is something wrong?" You shook your head, saying nothing, but reached over and messed up her hair, knocking pins out of place. "Y/n!"

"It looks good down." You said simply as you pulled a few pins out of her hair. She took the pins you'd removed from you and began pulling out more pins. When they were all removed she tucked them into one of her pants pockets. You grinned. "Better. You should wear it down more often." She smiled back but avoided eye contact. "So that landlord is grumpy huh?"

"I wouldn't mind him if I were you. He's got a bad temper but he wouldn't cause anyone too much trouble." You nodded but suddenly stopped in your tracks, suddenly feeling dizzy. Alma stopped walking to look at you, concern written on her face. "Dear, are you alright?" You tried to respond but couldn't make out the words. She took a step closer to you. "Darling?" You suddenly fell to the ground. Alma dropped to the ground with you, holding out her arms to catch you as best as she could. Though you dropped to the ground before she could really catch you. She pulled you closer to her and cried out your name. "Y/n!" It was the last thing you heard before you faded out of consciousness.

—————

The things I could do to Y/n..