Chapter 9-Sleep Deprived

You slowly started becoming aware of everything around you. You were laying down on something soft, not the gravel road you'd fallen on. You heard someone pacing on a hardwood floor and muttering under their breath. Eventually you opened your eyes and groaned at the sudden light that flooded your senses. You quickly got used to it as the person who'd been in the room rushed over to your side.

"You're awake." Alma whispered, helping you sit up. She quickly checked you over, making sure you were all right. "How do you feel? What on earth happened out there?"

You shook your head. "How long have I been out?"

"Only a few hours. It's one in the morning."

"Oh." You moved to stand up, but a hand on your shoulder stopped you from getting out of the bed. "I'll just go back to my room now, I don't mean to be an inconvenience. You need sleep as well."

"Nonsense. I need to know what happened. Why did you so suddenly fall?" You shook your head, pretending not to know when in reality you just didn't want her to find out. She grabbed you by both of your shoulders and turned you to face her. She was glaring at you. "Don't you dare lie to me. Why did you pass out?" You shook your head again, refusing to answer her. She pushed you back down onto the bed, holding you there by your shoulders. "You're not leaving until I get an actual answer from you."

You struggled for a moment to get out of her grasp, but her grip was tight. "Fine. I haven't slept in a few days. My bad."

Her glare lessened for a moment and instead of holding you down she moved one hand to your cheek, she looked over your face concerned. "Oh, love..." Alma leaned a little closer to you, and you could've sworn you'd seen her gaze drop to your lips, but only for a moment. She looked back up to your eyes before moving to lay on top of you.

"What are you doing?"

"Making sure you can't get up." She propped her head up on your chest to look at you. "You're going to go to bed, wether you like it or not." And she wouldn't admit it, but it was also an excuse for her to be closer to you. You sighed, giving up and wrapping your arms around her and closing your eyes.

—————

When you woke up you were met with Alma, still on top of you, but now her face was a lot closer to yours. She wasn't awake and she looked rather peaceful. Her eyes fluttered opened and she caught your gaze. "It's rude to stare, dearest."

"Oh but it's so hard not to." You grinned, and she rolled her eyes, trying to push down the blush that snuck onto her cheeks.

"Good morning then, love." She smiled and leaned a bit closer to kiss the tip of your nose.

"Morning." You returned the favor, kissing her nose as well. You then abruptly sat up, knocking her into your lap. She let out a small surprised noise before looking at at you with a glare.

"Thanks for the warning."

"You're welcome. Now, shall we get ready for the day?" She nodded and got off you, walking over to her wardrobe and pulling out an outfit before going to change in her bathroom. You stood up as well, planning to go back to your room. But instead got an idea. You ran over to Alma's wardrobe, grabbing one of her button up shirts before running out of the room. You had to be fast or she'd catch you.

You changed into a pair of your own pants and Alma's button up when you got back to your own room. You waited until you heard her go downstairs before following her. She had already made herself some tea and was sipping on it. She glanced over at you and looked away again before seeming to realize something and turning to look at you again. "Is that my shirt?" You nodded. "Go change and give it back."

"You're more than welcome to take it off me yourself."

She sputtered into her cup of tea and started coughing, blush clear on her face. "I'm sorry?"

"I'm just joking, Alma. But I will not be changing, your shirt is rather comfortable." She sighed and shook her head, refusing to look at you.

"Fine. Let's start breakfast now."

—————

My sister has started watching Sofia The First. It's been weird.