13

Drew sat me down on the kitchen counter and Tom lay Grier down on the couch because she could barely stand or sit.

"First aid kit?" Drew asked Blake impatiently. She went into a back room and returned with it in her hand. The boys started pulling plasters and dressings out, some for me and some for Grier.

"Tell me what happened," Drew said to me firmly as he reached out for my arm and started cleaning all the grazes. His touch on my skin made my stomach flutter.

"Someone was trying to run us off the road," I said.

"What? What do you mean?" Austin said from behind me as he watched Grier and I closely with concern. Grier had bad grazes on her legs and she said that her right leg hurt quite a bit. She must have twisted it when we jumped off the bikes.

"That's what I mean. Like, someone was literally trying to run us off the road," I said again. I winced in pain. It wasn't Drew, he was so gentle. It was the dressing on my grazes that stung. Drew looked at me apologetically.

"That is crazy, who would do that?" Blake said as she sat down on one of the barstools. A part of me felt as though she didn't believe us. She cared more about her bikes. I felt bad about the bikes but there was nothing we could have done.

"I'm sorry about your bikes. We were just trying to get away," Grier said to her softly. But she wasn't really sorry because neither was I. I was just glad we had gotten away, in that moment I wasn't even thinking about the damage to the bikes at all.

Blake grimaced slightly. "It's ok. I'm just glad you guys are ok."

Yeah, whatever.

"Who were these people? Describe them to me," Tom said as he put a pillow underneath Grier's head.

"There was two of them. The one that wasn't driving came up to us in town before."

"He approached you before this happened?" Drew asked slowly.

I nodded.

"Well that's just even weirder. He was seeking you two out," Tom said.

"You said there were two of them? Who was driving?" Drew asked me again.

I bit down on my lip. "Another guy, another man. I've seen him before."

Drew frowned. "Where?"

I looked at Austin. "Austin and I saw him once when we went for a walk on the beach."

Austin's expression changed then and he moved over to me on the other side of the bench.

"That guy? Again? What the hell," Austin said quietly. He understood how scared I must have been because even seeing that guy once was enough. There was clearly a pattern. A motive.

"If you've seen him before, and that guy came up to you both beforehand they did that on purpose," Tom said, leaning against the bench with a frown.

Drew had his deep thinking face on and he was still watching me closely.

"So you're saying they wanted to run us off the road?" Grier asked from the couch. The boys all nodded.

"I'm sorry but this just doesn't happen around here! Newport has always been safe," Blake said in protest.

"Yeah, well. There's always a first," Tom said.

"What did Mr Jameson say Keeley? We know him. He's friends with my Father," Blake said.

"Oh. Well we're lucky his daughter was home," I explained.

"That's Charlotte. I should introduce you all properly, you would love her." Now really was not the moment to be discussing get togethers. I just don't think she knew how to react.