21

Spring 2003
Freshman year

I could still hear the music coming from Tom's bedroom downstairs, the floor practically vibrating underneath my feet. I checked myself one last time in the mirror, before grabbing my school bag and running as fast as I could down the stairs.

"Mija! Don't run!" My Mom screamed after me. I stopped in my tracks. You didn't wanna get on the wrong side of that voice.

"Tom's blasting his music again Mom! We're gonna be late!" I whined.

My mother just waved her hand in the air like it was nothing. Tom was her favourite, always had been.

"Argh!" I just said, making a beeline for the bottom of the stairs, stomping my feet. As if that would make a difference over the sound.

I flung open Tom's door. He was no where to be seen, and his room looked like someone had ransacked it, you could barely see the floor. The music was so loud I couldn't hear myself think.

STACEY'S MOM HAS GOT IT GOING ON. SHE'S ALL I WANT AND I'VE WAITED FOR SO LONG.

The brand new song Stacey's Mom. I think I'd heard it about a hundred times yesterday. And the day before, and the day before that.

"Tom!" I screamed over the music. Where the hell was the remote for the stereo? I didn't know how to work the stupid thing. It was some fancy new one he's saved up for.

"Stacey can't you see? You're just not the girl for me!"

He was in the bathroom.

I marched towards the bathroom door, slamming my fist loudly on it. The sound stopped.

"Tom! I swear if you make me late for Chemistry class so help me god."

"Alright alright! Jeez, chill!" He sounded embarrassed that I'd caught him in the act.

"I'm going to the car and I have your keys!" I teased. Tom hated the thought of me driving his new car. I really didn't have his keys though. I had no idea where they were, and I wouldn't be able to find them under all that mess.

"No you don't!"

"Hurry up or I'll drive off."

"You don't have a permit!" He yelled back, as I walked away.

I laughed to myself as I climbed into the passenger seat, waiting for him. I looked down at my Mom's old watch she'd given me that was on my wrist.

7:45.

We had to leave now or I really would miss the start of Chemistry, and then I would officially go down in the books of being one of Mr Clark's top students.

Tom jumped in right at the last minute, still half dressed, pulling a shirt on over his head and bending down to put some socks and shoes on. His dark brown hair was a mess as usual. Not to mention, it still had sand all through it.

"Did you go for a surf this morning?"

"Yeah, what's new?" Tom said with a huff, before pushing the keys in and reversing out of the drive away.

"Your hair looks so gross."

Tom laughed. "Yeah? Well, while I was out surfing you were still drooling on your pillow."

"I don't drool."

"Whatever."

Then he looked over at me for the first time since he'd got in the car.

"What are you wearing?" He asked me with a smirk.

"Clothes."

"You look like you're about to star in a dance show on MTV."