Part 8

Charlie felt the eyes of the sea-born watch him as he slowly took small bites of the fish. The taste was sickening. He didn't want to eat this fish. Despite things always being limited on the seas, Charlie strived to not eat any living creatures, but Alpha insisted. He had to listen, there was already enough tension between them.

"I think this is the first time I've ever seen you eat Charlie. Can you stop picking it like a seagull? Your mouth is big enough to eat it whole," Alpha finally commented to break the silence between them.

"I u-usually eat it cooked," Charlie lied. "I'm sorry." He felt terrible for the fish that had to die for him. It also felt rather awkward to take a bite out of it right in front of a literal half-fish man. He remembered in his youth he vowed to never eat human beings and after meeting Alpha he made the same vow for fish.

"What a strange process your land creatures do. Burning food. You will have to show me sometime. I have only seen fire afar. Anyway, Charlie please hurry and eat it all up. You need the energy," Alpha commanded taking a bite out of a fish himself. Alpha's sharp teeth tore away at the flesh. This made Charlie feel a little less bad. 

"O-ok," Charlie mumbled as he took another nibble.

"Besides, you were always too skinny for my taste. WELL! I mean I love your body, but instead of shiny things I should have brought you food."

"Yeah," Charlie chomped the fish. Alpha's words hurt but he wasn't wrong.

"You know when I was just a small fry I was one of the top hunters in my kingdom."

"Oh?" His missing arm only seemed to hurt more as he listened to Alpha. He wished that they could go back to their silence.

"I once caught a sailfish at the age of ten."

"Aye, I know you are fast Alpha."

"I bet I could even outswim a shark if I needed to."

"Please don't."

"Charlie, sharks are all talk and no bite," Charlie fought the urge to roll his eye. It was frustrating for Alpha to act like everything was ok. It wasn't! Everything hurt in his body and the both of them only had each other. Which wasn't good. They were supposed to never see each other again. Charlie did not deserve to see Alpha.  "The real assholes are dolphins. I have-"

"Alpha," Charlie interrupted. "What are we doing after this?

"I don't know. Do you feel strong enough to walk?"

"Maybe?" Charlie pushed himself up slowly. Alpha sighed in relief when the pirate monster was able to stand. Charlie's legs felt wobbly but he felt comfortable enough to stay stable. Charlie took a few steady steps and looked around. He knew where he was, they were on the coast of the  Island of Casworth. While Alpha went hunting he was able to place himself. His sense of direction was one of the only skills he was confident about.  "Alpha, I think I have a plan but I don't know if she still lives on this island."

"She? Huh?"  Alpha perked up and tilted his head in confusion. Charlie sighed as he thought about her. That "she" was named Piper. He met her at the inn that she owned when his crew was visiting this island.  She was an interesting human that Charlie liked being around but he haven't thought about her until now. Lately, only Alpha was on his mind. But being on her land brought back these memories and the favor she promised him months ago. She could help and was the safest option. He wasn't willing to threaten some random person, he wasn't strong enough to fight back if they didn't buckle under his intimidation.

"Uh ah, an old friend of mine. Thankfully, y-you pulled me on Casworth. It has a big town full of a lot of supplies that can help us."

"Oh, I know. Ain't I so smart?"