This Is Love

A loud groan can be heard inside the room on the left side of the hallway, Lisa went to check and sees her dog licking Jennie's face. She crouches to pick Love but seeing the time on the clock, she decided to leave him to wake her girlfriend up.

Jennie went to a party last night and drank too much, her friend texted Lisa multiple times saying Jennie is causing a ruckus so the latter immediately went to fetch her. Before Jennie left that night, she specifically told her not to drink as the shorter girl gets dizzy on the first three shots and gets wild on the fifth, but Jennie disobeyed and Lisa was upset. Unfortunately, this wasn't the first time Jennie did something like this.

Lisa left Jennie's room to continue cooking in the kitchen, she knows Jennie is already awake and will make her way to the kitchen once she's done washing her face. Jennie does not get hangovers no matter how drunk she was but she does sleep like a log.

"Hi.." A groggy voice came from the far side of the room.

Lisa turns to see her girlfriend in her white shirt and disheveled hair. She suppressed her smile.

"Take a seat." She places a bowl of soup in front of Jennie and take a seat across her.

"About last night.. I'm sorry." Jennie was fidgeting under the table the whole time and only looked up to see Lisa's reaction. She knew the taller girl dislikes parties and alcohol but she never forbid her to go out and have fun.

Lisa sighs "It's alright, I'm just upset because you promised."

"I know. I won't drink that much again next time." Jennie grabs her bowl and starts eating.

"Next time?" Lisa wanted to make another statement, she wants to completely forbid her from drinking. She hated the fact that her girlfriend seemed to not care about what she feels at all. This has been an issue between them for a long time and Lisa is nearing her breaking point.

Lisa leans on the counter and took deep breaths. "Look, I am not against you going out and coming home late but you are an irresponsible drinker. What if something happens and I'm not there with you?"

Jennie sat there, looking apologetic. Lisa turns to the sink to wash her bowl but accidentally knocked it hard causing for it to create a loud noise. She tried to not show her anger but unintentionally did.

"Are you mad?" Jennie carefully went to Lisa but the latter doesn't want to be touched. Jennie stood and watch as her girlfriend wash off the soap on her hand and grab her car keys on the table.

"Where are you going?" The shorter girl catches up to Lisa and held her hand that's gripping the keys.

Jennie is determined to keep Lisa inside the house. She have done this before, she runs away and choose not to talk to Jennie.

"Let me go." Lisa wants to get away from Jennie's grip yet she's holding back from using force, she can't hurt her.

"I said let me go."

"No." Jennie shook her head. "I'm sorry, please let's talk."

"We've been talking about this for years already! And if I agree on talking this out again, will that change anything?" The question made them silent. Jennie realized how tired Lisa was just by looking into her eyes.

"You are insensitive. You do things without considering my feelings."

"I'm sorry."

"I'm.. I'm tired of hearing that." A tear left Lisa's eye as she made eye contact with Jennie. She doesn't know what to do anymore.

Lisa sat on the cold floor and buried her face in her arms. Jennie didn't do anything, it's as if her feet were glued to the ground. She wanted to get close to Lisa but she's afraid it would scare her off. Instead, she sat beside her and waited.

Lisa knows their relationship is falling apart but she denies it everyday, it only took one more mistake for her to accept it. On the other hand, Jennie feels extremely guilty for making Lisa miserable. She may or may not know that she takes her relationship for granted.

Lisa finally stood up and Jennie followed. Jennie finally generated some sentences in her head that she could use to open a conversation but her mind went blank after hearing Lisa's words.

"Let's break up, Jen."

It's like Jennie never realized how heavy this was not until breaking up was finally brought up. She tried to find some words, though her lips were quivering, a word managed to escape her mouth.

"Why?"

"It feels like I'm the only one working for us.. I did my best but you—" Lisa's voice cracks from crying.
"—stayed still." She finishes.

Jennie lost count of the times she swallowed the lump in her throat. Did she really do this? It was bright outside but the air they share inside their home is suffocating.

She knew whatever she has to say now won't do anything but saying nothing will cost her everything.

"You were right. I was too occupied to notice that I've been neglecting you.. you were always there for me and I'm thankful, appreciative even. But I didn't realize that I wasn't actually showing you that. I only say a few words and go. I don't want us to end like this, Lis. Please, tell me what I have to do. Anything.. I'd do anything." Jennie reaches for Lisa's hand, this time, the younger one didn't move away from her touch. It brought a sense of relief to her.

Lisa's mind went back to when they were teens, so young and in love. She was 17 when she confessed her love to Jennie and it was also her first heartbreak. Coming from a wealthy family, Jennie had an image to protect. She has to excel in her academics and become a part of the student organization. The first time Lisa had met Jennie was not very good, they were the opposite of each other. If Jennie was conservative, Lisa was graceless. They hated that about each other.

There wasn't a day where they wouldn't exchange insults so when Lisa had stop doing this she knew something had changed. Hearing Lisa's confession made Jennie afraid and confused. She thought Lisa hated her. Jennie went home and thought about it all night. Although Lisa was rejected, she went on pursuing Jennie everyday like nothing happened. It went on for months until Lisa finally got her chance. They were an odd pair, everyone looks at them on the streets while they were holding hands. Jennie's parents never liked Lisa and some friends disapproved of their relationship. If they managed to get through it all, why are they giving up now?

This memory made Lisa doubt her decision. In front of her was the girl she had fought for, the girl who believed in her, and loves her. Maybe all she ever want to do now is disappear.. but never lose her completely. She understands now.

Without a word, Lisa carefully wrapped Jennie inside her arms, gently caressing her back to comfort her.

"I'm sorry." Lisa whispers.

"No, I'm sorry.." Jennie held onto Lisa.

They might have apologized to each other but this doesn't put an end to their problem at all. Tomorrow or maybe the day after tomorrow, they will have another thing to argue about and they won't even see the end of it. But they both know this, and they will choose this rather than being apart.

They had a short conversation in the living room before heading to their bedroom to rest. Jennie was fast asleep while Lisa was still awake. She was glad she didn't make any rash decision, she would have missed seeing Jennie's sleeping face.

Lisa reaches out to the bedside table and took out a magazine. She turned to the 20th page and found an elegant golden ring with a single diamond. Her gaze fell onto Jennie's slender hands, a smile almost immediately forming her lips.

Midterms started so I won't be able to update that much. I uploaded this story so you won't think I ghosted you guys haha. Stream "Shut Down"! 🔥 💗