Chapter 1: A Loss of Life

It was like any other day. Simplistic. Predictably. Perfectly ordinary and mundane. That's how it was supposed to be. That was what to be expected. All she wanted, when she went out that day, was to check on her dear friend. A young girl walked through her hometown when she began her search. Her childhood friend had left school early after an argument with a teacher and she had gotten worried about him. She decided to skip the rest of the school day to go and see if he was okay. The people whom she passed by took one look at her and nearly jumped as they stepped off to the side, giving her a clear passage on the sidewalk. The girl didn't pay them any mind except when stopping if they had seen her friend. If they said no, she would politely bow in thanks and then be on her way. She looked around and wondered if maybe he had gone back home or had gotten into yet another fight. She considered turning back when she suddenly stopped. Everyone's eyes and ears turned as the screeching sound of tyres burned against the concrete ground. The girl was closest and the sound nearly deafened her. She turned around and all at once, her heart stopped. It all happened way too fast.

A soccer ball bounced far away from the scene. A small child was pushed out of the way, across from where he was standing. And an older boy with a scared, worried expression, pushing said child. The tyres screeched again and before the girl could do anything, a woman screamed in horror as the red sports car ran over the child's saviour. He toppled over the car before colliding against the street. He made no sound when he was hit. And he didn't move a single muscle as he lay on the cold ground. The girl stood there. Numb. Shock. Her eyes were wide as she stared at the crumpled form of her best friend. She didn't want to believe what she had seen. She refused to believe it. A crowd began to form and were equally as horrified at what just happened.

"We'd better call in for an ambulance!" A man shouted. Another shakily nodded his head and rushed to find a pay phone. He ran past the driver of the vehicle, who was kneeling on the ground. He was trembling like a leaf with a look of horror and guilt on his face as he stared at the young boy. "I-...I swear I didn't mean...to. It was an accident..." He said, on the brink of tears. The girl felt all feeling leaving her legs and she dropped to the ground. She was shocked. Numb. She shook her head, refusing to believe what she had just seen. This wasn't happening, right? This wasn't meant to happen. Things weren't meant to be this way.

"Yusuke... why?" She whispered under her breath.

It was like any other day. That day had started differently. The girl recalled waking up and heading to her school; Sarayashiki Junior High. She had met up with her two best friends, one of whom she was almost surprised to see as he often skipped classes. Nonetheless, the three walked to school and thankfully avoided getting jumped by a bunch of brainless delinquents. When they arrived, the other students looked their way and quickly backed away. They were afraid, keeping their distance. The girl had stopped caring a long time ago. It had happened so often to her that it doesn't faze her anymore. Her friend, Yusuke, however, was a different story. He didn't care because he went out of his way to be scary. After all, he was the number 1 toughest delinquent in school.

The girl went to class as normal and did her daily duties as a student. She met up with her other friend and chatted for a bit when their principal, Takenaka's voice came through the loudspeaker and requested for the troublemaking student, Yusuke, to come to his office. Immediately. He went on for a few minutes when both girls realised that Yusuke was intentionally ignoring him and was hiding away somewhere. Again. The girls sighed and went together to find him. "Yusuke Urameshi, report to Mr. Takenaka's office, immediately. Urameshi! Do you hear me?" The Principal called out. The girls climbed the stairway up to the rooftop, and as expected, found him right away. Sitting by the door.