Chapter 16

Miss Ashley sat in her father's chair wrapped in a blanket, despite the air being scolding hot. She hadn't moved in hours. She'd been sat there, thinking, going over that morning's events, imagining different endings. After the Warden had managed to calm her down, she'd found out it had been around 3:45am when Mr. Miller attacked her in the office. That meant she and Squid had got up at around 3:15. Neither of them had gotten a wink of sleep since then. It was now 4pm. She hadn't done any work all day. She could hear her father barking outside.

"Just tell me what you were doing! I won't get mad. I just want to know what that scumbag thought he had on her."

"I already told you, he didn't have anything," retorted Squid. "We were just looking at the stars."

Mr. Sir sucked his teeth. "Looking at the stars. You expect me to believe that's all y'all did out there? What kind of delinquent likes to look at the stars! Do you think you're in a chic flick, or something?"

Squid looked strangely at him, then shrugged. "Ashley liked it."

"I understand you're worried, Mr. Sir," said Mr. Pendanski, "but there's no point in stressing over it now. Mr. Miller's long gone and Miss Ashley's fine."

"Oh, she's fine?" spat Mr. Sir. "Is that why she hasn't said a word to me all day?"

"So she's in shock. Nothing actually happened to her. She'll get over it."

Mr. Sir wrapped his hands around Mr. Pendanski's neck. The Warden pushed them apart.

"Don't start that crap now," she scolded Mr. Sir. "It's your fault for letting her date a camper, making the other guys think she's *open for business*. None of them would've even thought about touching her if they hadn't seen her and Squid kissing and what not."

"I thought about touching her," said Squid.

"Yeah, and we don't think Miss Ashley's 'open for business' just 'cause Squid's dating her," Zigzag piped up.

"Some of us have more respect than that," said X-Ray.

"Yeah, Mr. Miller and the B-tenters are just pendejos," said Magnet.

The Warden shot a stone cold look at each of them. "The point is, Ashley's perfectly safe now. That's all that matters."

Miss Ashley brought her hand to her neck and played with the gold chain. She didn't know why she hadn't taken it off earlier, but it felt strange to do so now. She was surprised Mr. Miller hadn't demanded she give it back before he left camp. She supposed he really didn't need to worry about money. At least this way she could sell it, if she ever left Green Lake and needed quick cash. Charlie put a cup of fresh coffee in front of her. She took it and drank some without thanking him.

"Are you feeling any better?" he asked.

She didn't respond.

"How are your stitches?"

Nothing. He touched her lips, wanting to make sure her stitches hadn't moved when Mr. Miller attacked her, and she flinched. He sighed. He would have to check them later. He went to walk out, but stopped in the doorway, hearing her speak. Her voice was timid and broken.

"I keep...thinking about what would've happened if..."

Charlie turned to find her looking at him. Or rather, looking through him.

"I was so excited when Squid said we were gonna..."

Charlie nodded. He saw her swallow and it looked like it took a lot of effort. Saying anything took a lot of effort at the moment, but it was easier to talk to Charlie than it was to talk to her father, or her boyfriend. It was easier when she didn't care too much what the other person thought of her, and she didn't think Charlie cared too much about her that anything she said would really affect him.

"But when Mr. Miller tried to...I was so scared." She looked down at the mug she was holding, tapping her fingers anxiously on it. "I don't think I could live with myself if..."

Charlie went and crouched down in front of her, putting his hands on hers. "Ash--Miss Ashley, listen to me," he said, softly but firmly. "Something terrible almost happened to you, but it didn't. You're okay. I know it was scary, but you're safe now. Nobody's gonna hurt you, I promise."

She looked him now, really  looked at him. "You promise?"

"I promise," he repeated. "I'll stay here forever and I'll make sure of it."