Chapter 6

Mr. Sir stood next to the water truck with his arms folded. His daughter was leaning against the back of the truck, watching her feet as she kicked the dirt, and he would glance at her every now and then to make sure she was still there.

The campers made their way to the truck to get their lunch and fresh water. Mr. Sir filled the canteens, then let them go to Miss Ashley for their food. The groups came around in alphabetical order and she handed everyone their snacks, smiling at each of them as they went past. Her father scowled when D-tent came to him, but the boys didn't hold it against her. They smiled at her, pretending the bruises didn't exist like they had before. They were concerned about her, but knew not to say anything. After all, it was nothing to do with them. Miss Ashley was a strong young woman who always kept her problems to herself and they knew this, and they respected her for it. Squid on the other hand, hadn't been able to stop thinking about what had happened, and he wanted to apologise for it.

He took his sack lunch from her and she smiled at him. It surprised him, but it also made him feel a little better. He loved her smile.

"Miss Ashley," he started, glancing at Mr. Sir to make sure he wasn't watching. Even though he wasn't doing anything wrong, he had to be careful, knowing that Mr. Sir was a very irrational man. "I'm really sorry. . .about everything."

Miss Ashley had actually stopped to listen to him, which he hadn't expected. She spoke softly. "It's okay."

Squid scrunched his face up as he observed the bruises on hers. "No, it's not okay. Have you seen yourself?"

Miss Ashley waved her hand at him. "Really, Squid, I'm fine. It doesn't even hurt."

Squid scoffed. He didn't believe her for a second. "Don't sugar coat it for me. You look like hell," he said, beginning to lose his temper. "And it's because of me."

Miss Ashley shushed him. "It's not all your fault."

"I don't care whose fault it is," Squid asserted. "How could he do that to you for something so stupid? How come you're just putting up with it, taking a beating then pretending everything's okay?"

"Because I don't want another one!" she snapped.

Her yelling had caused Mr. Sir to turn around. He walked towards them and Miss Ashley rubbed her forehead, instantly regretting it. She sighed, becoming stressed as her father stood in between the two of them.

"What's going on here then?" he asked, sounding somewhat smug.

It was as if he had been waiting for Squid to mess up again.

"Daddy, please, it's nothing," Miss Ashley said, putting her hand on his torso and trying to push him out of the way.

He pushed her hand away gently. "No, Ashley, let the boy speak for himself."

Squid looked back at his daughter. She put her hands up, not knowing how to help.

He tried his best to hide the anxiety when he spoke. "I was just saying sorry to her."

"Saying sorry? Now, I know my daughter. She's a very reasonable, kind-hearted little girl, which I'm sure you've noticed since you're so interested in her." He chuckled, making the others feel even more uneasy. "I don't think she would've yelled at you like that for just 'saying sorry'. What's really going on, huh?"

Squid hesitated for a moment, then replied, "Well, she's covered in bruises, Sir. I was concerned, that's all."

Mr. Sir glared at him. "Oh, you're concerned are ya? Tell me, boy, do you know why she looks like that?"