Chapter 3

The boys sat in the mess hall, chatting as they ate dinner. It had been an especially hot day and they were glad to be back at the compound with rest of the evening to waste. They weren't planning on going to the wreck room today - it was far too crowded and they didn't want to feel the heat that would inevitably be radiating off of the rest of the campers' bodies. They had only just showered, but they were already sweating.

On the other side of the hall sat the counsellors. They were talking and laughing, and the boys were growing more and more curious about what was so amusing by the second. Mr. Sir was sat right on the end of the counsellors' table. Easy, along with the rest of his tent, got his food and made his way to where they usually sat. Mr. Sir chuckled when he saw him walk past, having heard what his daughter had done to him a just few days before. The boy's cheek had bruised purple by now. Miss Ashley didn't even bother to look up at him. She had felt kind of bad about hitting him afterward, but she knew she couldn't let him get away with acting so perverted towards her.

"Do you think she's okay?" Squid asked his friends, seeing how Miss Ashley was looking down at her plate, seemingly fed up.

"I don't think it's her you need to worry about," Zigzag jeered. "You seen Easy's face? Man, I'm glad it wasn't me on the other end of that slap."

The rest of them nodded, sniggering. X-ray noticed how Squid was concentrating so hard on the female counsellor, so he said, "If you're not careful, you'll be the next."

Squid smacked his lips, but he knew X-ray was right.

The next day, Miss Ashley drove the water truck out to the desert while her father sat in the passenger seat. They listened to some Spanish song that was playing on the radio on the way. She had turned the radio on with the purpose of stopping her father from talking to her, as she knew he would want to discuss what she had done to the B-tent boy. He was proud of her for doing it and found it funny, but she didn't want to talk about it. When she thought about it, she felt cruel. She wasn't holding a grudge against the boy and he wasn't allowed to hold one against her. She had planned to go back to her friendly self, which she thought shouldn't be too hard now that the campers knew she wasn't going to stand for being disrespected. There should be no reason for her to have to punish anyone else.

"Come on, boys!" she called, slamming the car door behind her.

Mr. Sir got out after her, clutching his sack of seeds as usual. "Don't make the lady wait now," he yelled.

D-tent lined up. Another new boy had been sent to Camp Green Lake. He stood behind Stanley, who had recently acquired the nickname Caveman. Mr. Sir had explained to the new boy that he had a daughter who was a counsellor at the camp when he first met him. "Don't look at her, don't touch her and don't speak unless you're spoken to," he had told him. The new boy wasn't a bad kid, despite the multiple car heists he had been involved in that got him sent to the camp in the first place. He didn't want to upset Mr. Sir. But his tent mates had quickly nicknamed him Twitch for a reason.

"Hi, you must be Brian," Miss Ashley said when the boy's turn finally came.

"His name's Twitch," X-ray corrected her. She nodded to show that she heard him.

Twitch started fidgeting when he let go of his canteen.

"Wow, you must be Miss Ashley, huh." He spoke fast. "You're awfully pretty. Mr. Sir said he had a daughter, but I didn't think she'd be this good looking. You look nothing like him. That's a nice colour on your hands by the way." He had noticed the peachy red nail polish on Miss Ashley's fingers.

"Oh, I see," Miss Ashley giggled, realizing the reason behind the boy's nickname. "Thank you, darlin'."

"It's okay, honey," said Twitch, causing her to raise an eyebrow at him. The campers weren't really allowed to call her 'honey', but she knew he wasn't trying to be impolite, so she disregarded his comment. However, Mr. Sir felt differently.