001. some fancy shit

VALLEY GLEN WAS LIKE A BREATH OF FRESH AIR for the Ortiz family. Manolo and Mari'Elena had been cooped up in that tiny North Hills apartment for two and a half years一 two and a half years too long. The place they had with their mother wasn't even that good, but it sure was miles better than that dump.

But here, in this huge ass condo, they didn't have to walk up multiple flights of stairs. They didn't have to get caught up in a conversation with the random crackheads in the hallways. No more hearing arguments from the neighbors in toxic relationships. They were free.

At the condo, there were actual security guards who did their jobs. The exterior looked absolutely amazing with its white and beige colors. There was a literal pool that looked like people actually took care of it.

Mari couldn't thank her aunt enough for joining the family, because she would've gone insane if she had to spend any more time coming home to that apartment.

It was a Sunday afternoon, and all three Ortiz's were smiling ear to ear in Celia's Honda Civic. Manolo's car had been in the shop, so that meant that Celia was everyone's chauffeur. So what that meant was that everyone had to listen to Celia's music. Mari wasn't complaining一 she loved the song Danza Kuduro by Don Omar and Lucenzo, despite the fact that she could not understand Brazilian Portuguese. So whenever Lucenzo's part came on, she'd mumble what she thought were the lyrics, and, well, any other lyric that was the slightest inappropriate.

It was like a small karaoke party in her car. Manolo was never even the type of person to sing, but even he couldn't help but enjoy himself. Celia always brought the best out of everyone somehow. She was like the family's guardian angel.

The car stopped at a gate, and Celia reached out of her window to put in some code. After a few button pushes, they watched as the garage door lifted up. "Ooh, fancy. You guys are gonna have to learn the access code. I'll send it to the family group chat."

The garage was huge. Not like 'rich people with a car collection' huge, but still. It led downstairs, where all sorts of cars were. Celia parked in a spot close to the elevator一 Mari didn't even know there was an elevator.

"You're right, this is some fancy shit," Manolo agreed in awe of the led lights that were along the walls.

"It looks futuristic," Mari commented with a slight chuckle as she was the last one to exit the car, holding her gym bag that she was temporarily using to carry her essentials.

The trio got on the elevator, and Celia pressed the second level button. She had a bright smile on her face, too excited to move in.

When the doors opened, both Mari and her father allowed Celia to lead them一 she and Manolo had both gone on the tour, but he didn't remember anything about it. Mari anxiously tapped on her phone case, as it was a habit she had. She didn't know why she did it, but couldn't stop herself.