002. new recruit, same old exes

IT WAS NEW YEAR'S EVE, and Mari'Elena had finally decided to go out on her own for the first time since she had moved to Valley Glen. Her aunt had mentioned on endless occasions that she saw some teenagers around the condo, but Mari hadn't made any attempts to make any friends yet. She also hadn't contacted her old friends一 or acquaintances, as she preferred to call them. Mari wasn't shy, or antisocial, or anything, but she just couldn't really make a real friendship at North Hills High. She just blended in and hung out with whoever she knew.

She had to plan this. What if the teens were the annoying and stuck up type? The type that whenever someone tried to make friends with them, they rejected them in a way that left the person feeling more shitty than before? She wasn't going to take those chances. So she decided to let them come to her.

Dressed in her signature clothing combo, a tank top, cargos, and an oversized jacket, she walked around the hallways, tapping her index finger against her phone case to the beat of Just Another Day by John Cena, using her free hand to adjust her wired earbuds every few seconds.

She heard someone's voice一 it wasn't clear enough for her to decipher it, as she had only been paying attention to the music she was listening to. Confused, she stopped walking and paused the song. Mari looked around to see if anyone was around, and relaxed一 just slightly一 when she saw a boy who looked to be in his late teens.

Then it occurred to her that he was a teenage boy, and her guard went back up. The dirty blond jogged up to her, and shot her a charming smile to the point where his dimples showed. "Hey! 'You okay? Not lost or anything?"

She took an earbud out, nodding with a small, shy smile. "Yeah! I, uh... I'm new here, and I came out to go explore with some friends, then I realized that they don't exist."

He chuckled, "That's not true now."

"It's not?" she questioned, not understanding his statement.

"Not at all," he insisted. "because now you've got me."

"Oh! I swear I'm not dumb," she exclaimed, facepalming in her head. "You're the first person I've met with no name."

"I'm--"

"Reed!" Mari turned around, seeing a trio一 one guy, two girls一 walking up to them. The blonde seemed to be the one talking. "Can you please stop terrorizing that poor girl?"

"Yeah, your baby mama just called all three of our phones," the guy said, looking irritated. "What do you mean you haven't bought formula for months?"

Reed's smile dropped. He stuttered, trying to defend himself. "I... have no idea what they're talking about, I swear."

Mari's eyes widened at the mention of a baby mama, and she took a few baby steps away from him.

"Don't worry, we're messing with him," The blonde girl looked at her, laughing. "Reed couldn't get a girl pregnant if he tried. We're his friends."