Chapter 3

Marlene let out her breath and began pacing back and forth in front of Regulus and Kreacher. The three were alone beside the lake. Marlene could feel the eyes of the boy and elf on her, but kept her own gaze on the back and forth progress of her own pacing feet.

"I had a very negative experience in Divinations class today," she began. "It was quite unlike anything I ever expected to experience in that class. It's the first time we've ever used crystal balls for scrying, and apparently I have some sort of talent for it. If only my first vision had been a more pleasant one. Now I'm beginning to think the life of a psychic is nothing but torment. I saw...dreadful things. A series of dreadful things."

"And now you wish to prevent them," Kreacher asked.

Marlene gave him a grateful nod. "Yes! Exactly! Only I will need the help of those I saw in the vision...or rather a series of short connected visions, because I suppose that's what it was."

"She appears to be aware of our...close relationship," Regulus told Kreacher. He took his gaze from Marlene long enough to give the elf a side-long look. Kreacher's expression flickered from surprised to skeptical.

"How much?""

Regulus shrugged. "I don't know."

"Master Sirius Black could have said ugly things simply for spite as is his frequent wont," Kreacher pointed out venomously.

Regulus simply nodded again. "I figured it was worth hearing her out. If it is Sirius, he will pay and so shall she for being foolish enough to befriend him and play his games."

As he spoke to the elf, Marlene regarded Regulus. His shoulder length neatly combed black hair, almost delicate face and slender profile were mildly bookish and unassuming. He gave the clear impression of being unapproachable, and he could easily slide by the notice unless you really paid mind to those aristocratic features of a king who'd forgotten who he was. She studied the youthful face, looking for the out of control dangerous rage she'd seen in her vision and not finding it.

"Girl in question right here in case you forgot," Marlene snapped peevishly. "I swear sometimes you both seem alright, then quite suddenly I can completely understand why Sirius and others may not like you. Just being honest."

"We weren't asking for your opinion," Regulus snapped back. "You know nothing of our interactions with Sirius. He was always a dreadful prat who detested everything our family values."

Kreacher nodded, scowling darkly. "The boy was born bad," the elf proclaimed in a resentful mutter.

Marlene shrugged. The conversation was deteriorating and that wasn't what she needed to prevent Jegulus. "Look. I don't care about any of that, because it has nothing to do with keeping you alive. What I saw is what matters."

"Why would you care to keep us alive," Regulus asked, not bothering to hide his skepticism.

"Because you've never done anything to me, and also because...the Muggles can't be permitted to do what they will do to the memories of James or even you. You aren't a hero, Regulus. You are a prat with a temper who is insanely loyal to those few people he loves under pressure, and if you aren't prevented from doing so, you will do some extremely stupid things in the name of revenge. It will hurt those you love best. Your favorite cousin and the two men closest to her shall be driven mad."

"Bellatrix and the Lestranges," Regulus asked, eyes widening in what was perhaps beginning to be alarm.

"I'm not finished, but yes, that's probably it," Marlene said, waving him to silence as she continued to pace. "Your father will die attempting to fix the mess you made! Your mother will die before her time. Due to grief for you and your father, she will not treat an illness that you could've made her attend to were you present to do so and him..."