Chapter 22

Marlene distracted herself by playing her new guitar as well as spending time with family until it was time to return to Hogwarts. Spending time with the family was pleasant, but in its own way, it added to her anxiety. She kept looking at each of her family members in turn, thinking of how much she loved them and how dreadful it would be if something awful befell them because of her second sight.

Fortunately she had no unsettling visions about them, and she did look. At least three times before returning to Hogwarts for the second term, she scried in her ball for each of her family members. Dread and both of her parents were safe, at least for now. Nothing unsettling showed itself in the round crystal when it came to any of them. For this she was grateful. When she returned to Hogwarts, she immersed herself in the normality of being amongst friends. Though they were all aware of her visions, no one mentioned anything. This allowed her to essentially compartmentalize the situation. It also gave her a bubble of familiarity and normality in which to shelter herself for a time. It was nice not to worry over the future or to be too stressed. Regulus burst her bubble the morning of their first day of classes. He approached her at the end of breakfast wearing a carefully crafted blank expression. "May I have a word with you, McKinnon?"

"You may," Marlene drawled. As she spoke, she felt a pit of dread growing low in her stomach. She followed Regulus to a corner of the Great Hall, all the while making a point not to glance around to see if her friends were giving her odd looks.

"We need to go to Hogsmeade this weekend to meet the Lestranges," Regulus said, once they were far enough from anyone else not to be overheard. He kept his voice pitched low so that it would not carry. When Marlene replied, she did the same.

"Why? What's going on?"

"I'm not precisely certain," Regulus said. "Bella just said they were considering Dumbledore's plans A and B, and had instead come up with a plan C. She wishes to talk it over."

Marlene felt a mix of flattered and uneasy to have been included in this. Flattered because being included was nice when the people involved were interesting and uneasy because why was she involved? Did the Lestranges believe Dumbledore had included her in the (everyone) who would have that decision to make? Or perhaps they just wanted her to scry about whatever third option they had come up with. That idea caused a surge of relief to flood her, so much so that she even smiled at Black. "Oh sure! They probably want me to scry about it for them." Black's response amplified her relief, for he nodded.

"That makes sense. I'll see you this weekend, then."

Marlene nodded. "Where should we meet? The library perhaps? We could go to Hogsmeade together from there."

"Sounds good," Regulus agreed. He gave her a little wave as he turned and walked away. She was surprised when Sirius detained her on the way into Transfigurations class five minutes later.

"Marlene! Wait." As Regulus had earlier, she kept her face carefully blank. She had a suspicion as to what Sirius wanted, and unfortunately she was not incorrect. She hadn't even needed the assistance of her scrying ball to see this one coming. Pausing, she gave Dorcas a wave, gesturing her friend to go ahead before turning to face Sirius. She did not speak, instead allowing him to do so as he was the one with something to say. "I just...Look it isn't my business, but just be careful. Whatever it is that you're doing with Regulus won't end well. That entire family is poison, take my word for it."

"Hm. I ate dinner with them, and felt fine afterward." Shit why had she said that? It was so much more than she wanted him or anyone else to know. She couldn't go sharing information between groups! The more anyone knew, the easier it could be for some Death Eater or worse, Voldemort to get it out of them if people were captured and questioned. It didn't take a genius to sort that one. Sirius's lips tightened. "So it's gone that far, has it?"