Chapter 14

"Do you see what I see," Marlene sang, an ironic smile twisting her lips as she twisted her long black hair atop her head into a stylish knot that she topped off with a sparkling black onyx hair pin. She then slipped into a winter green floor length dress that she felt reflected the holiday spirit she was feeling. Of course no one saw what she saw, which was why she was apparently necessary at Regulus's to help explain things to his probably very strange family. Quite likely most of the purebloodest fanatics were strange, but Regulus's family seemed to be particularly *special* judging from the glimpses she'd gotten from her ball. Speaking of that...She hastily went to retrieve it from the Hogwarts trunk she'd never fully unpacked. Stuffing it into the small black evening bag she was bringing along with her, she slipped its silver strap over one slender shoulder before approaching her full length mirror for a final glance at her reflection. "You're a pretty Marlene," she crooned to herself, then smirked in amusement. She wasn't going there to impress anyone, but she had her dignity and pride.

"Alright! I'm ready if you are," Micky McKinnon bellowed from down stairs. Though he'd agreed to allow her to attend Regulus's dinner party, he insisted on bringing her and meeting Black's parents.

Marlene grinned. She looked forward to her dad mixing with the Blacks, because it was likely to be amusing. "Coming, Daddy," she shouted back. "Good luck, you," she told her reflection as she turned from the mirror. "Try not to break a leg." Marlene's father waited in the front hall, wearing his best black dress robes, a posh walking stick in one hand that was purely for looks and self defense. It's top was graced with a large chunk of glittering quartz crystal and the rest was polished ebony wood.

"You look posh," she told him, standing on tiptoe to kiss his cheek.

"And you look far too pretty," he complained. "You sure you don't have eyes for this Black bloke?"

"Oh she's quite sure," Mildred snarked from where she stood skulking in the shadows near the front door.

"What are you doing," Marlene asked, raising her brows expressively in Mildred's direction.

"Just seeing you off," she said. "You look nice. Isn't that my dress?""

"No. You asked me last year if you could have it and I said no," Marlene reminded.

Mildred nodded sagely. "Oh yes, that was it. I recall now."

"I dislike conversations about clothes. Are we going or what," Mickey yawned.

"Yes Dad, let's go," Marlene said, stepping up beside her father and taking his arm.

"Have fun," Mildred called, a chuckle in her voice as Marlene and Mickey walked together out of the front door of the McKinnon's house. Once on the front stoop, Mickey apparated them murmuring, "#12 Grimmauld Place...that's the address, isn't it?" In nearly an instant father and daughter stood on another stoop. Mickey raised his hand and lifted a heavy ornate door knocker of a snarling gargoyle. He knocked three resounding times then stood back to wait. Marlene hoped that Kreacher would be the one to answer the door. Oddly having the first face she saw be the one of a friend felt more reassuring. Therefore when the grim elf opened the door, she gave him a warm smile. "Hi, Kreacher! This is my dad, Mickey. He came to drop me off and meet Regulus's parents," she explained.

Kreacher studied Mickey suspiciously, but gave a slight nod and bow to match. "Greetings to Marlene Mckinnon and her father. Kreacher shall inform the Master and Mistress that they have arrived. Do come in." The elf stepped back, allowing Marlene and her father to enter the front hall. The walls were dark, and covering in a smattering of grim old family portraits and medieval artwork depicting gruesome battlefields, giving the place a Gothic feel. There were also bright holiday decorations hanging about, including mistletoe, so apparently the Blacks enjoyed the winter celebrations as much as anyone else. Kreacher hurried off and Marlene and her father waited in silence, standing together near the front door. Both studied the portraits and artwork as they waited. Their wait was brief. Regulus's parents approached, walking side by side, Mr. Black's hand lightly on Mrs. Black's arm. Considering that the last time she'd seen them, they were ghosts, seeing them alive was oddly startling for Marlene. She just hoped they stayed that way. Both were tall and slender with striking, haughty aristocratic faces that showed a startling resemblance to one another. Regulus's mum regarded Marlene with an obviously searching gaze as Mr. Black shook hands with Mickey McKinnon. The two men exchanged pleasantries that Marlene had difficulty hearing through the sudden ringing in her ears. It affected her more than she'd assumed it would seeing the Blacks in person alive and well rather than being ghosts. They were alive and well now and apparently it was Marlene's responsibility to keep them that way else she wouldn't have this gift of seeing.

"Are you well, Dear?" Mrs. Black was speaking to her.

"What?" Marlene lifted a hand to touch her right ear. Both were still ringing! If only they would stop she could bloody hear things properly. "I'm Marlene."

Mrs. Black gave her a bemused smile, nodding. "Yes. I am Walburga. Welcome to my home." She gave a perplexed frown before going on. "Regulus has spoken highly of you."

As her hearing finally cleared, so did Marlene's mind. How bloody dotty she must appear to Mrs. Black. "I'm sorry, Mrs. Black. I had something odd going on with my ears for a moment. I'm fine now, though."

Mr. Black was leading her father away, and both men were laughing merrily. "Where are you going," Walburga called demandingly after them.

Pausing, Regulus's father cast an apologetic look at his wife over one shoulder. "I invited Mickey for a brandy in the library. We've got to talking about our Medieval ancestors, and that sort of conversation goes better with a spot of brandy."

"We think perhaps they killed a lot of people together," Mickey said, grinning cheerfully at the openly annoyed Mrs. Black. "Those medieval folks did a great deal of killing, you know!"

"Won't Mum wonder where you've gotten to," Marlene asked her father worriedly. The very last thing she needed was for Mr. Black to invite her father to bloody stay for dinner! He couldn't hear what she was about to tell Regulus's family.

Mickey shrugged, unconcerned. "Probably not."

"We're in the midst of a bloody dinner party, Orion," Mrs. Black snapped.

Orion frowned obstinately. "We most certainly are not, Burga! Dinner hasn't begun yet. We've nearly half an hour before dinner, and I am quite certain I can get down at least two drinks in that time."

Lips pressed tightly together, Walburga turned away as the two men headed off. "I'm sorry," Marlene murmured apologetically. "Father only wished to bring me and meet the both of you to be proper and all that, you know."

Walburga seemed to suddenly notice her again and gave her a smile. "Of course he would do as any good parent should when their daughter goes to a new friend's home for the first time. I have no problem with that. Orion is only being obstinate because he is bored of holiday family parties, but Regulus insisted we have another today for some reason." She leaned suddenly toward Marlene with a concerned frown. "He hasn't gotten you with child, has he? We did want him to find himself a suitable wife, but not this bloody soon. He's far too young."

Marlene choked. "I...No, it isn't me."

Not missing her implication, Walburga's eyes widened. "Who then?"

"um mm," Marlene replied, using the filler sound as her mind struggled for a suitable reply. "It isn't for me to say...at least probably not right here and now, Mam. Just know that Regulus won't be getting any woman with child."

Walburga nodded, looking relieved. "That is good to know," she said, giving Marlene a smile. "We're all having a spot of tea in the parlor. Come with me." Marlene nodded and Walburga led the way down a hall to the right. The woman swept along, elegant head held high, long straight black hair hanging down her back like a gleaming cloak. As Marlene's dress was winter green, Walburga's was Christmas red. As Christmas was in fashion at least through the newyear, Marlene silently agreed with the fashion choice.