Chapter Two

Gorya is sat at home with her family around the coffee table. She was questioning a lot after that conversation with Kaning and Uncle Ga a few hours ago. She didn't know whether she should actually quit her new school or not.

"Today is Gorya's 222nd day in Kocher High School. I pull out all the stops to celebrate it." Gorya's dad says excitedly. Her mom and brother cheer in happiness as they all sit around the coffee table with their dinner.

"Eat as much as you want. Your dad wanted to treat us all." Gorya's mom says as she sits on the floor with the rest. Until her face drops.

"Wait. Gorya... Why are your shoes worn out? How long have they been in this condition? Don't your friends tease you when you wear them to school?" Gorya's mom says worried.

"They are still wearable so I'll keep wearing them. We should be frugal. We don't come from money." Gorya says and her dads head instantly turns.

"What? We don't come from money? We do have money. That's why I bought roast duck." Gorya's dad says, pulling out a bag.

"Don't talk crazy, Dad. How is it possible? Roast duck?" Gorya's brother, Glakao, says excitedly.

Gorya's dad drops the roast duck out of the bag and onto a place. It doesn't look that advertising but for what they can afford, it was the best they had.

"Roast duck rib with rice. All for 19 baht." Gorya's dad says. Everyone stares at the roast duck in confusion.

"Excellent, Dad. You do know how to spend money!" Glakao says, lightening the mood.

Gorya looks at everyone and frowns.

"All of you are suffering because of me going to that school." Gorya says sadly.

Her mom strokes her hair and then places her hand on her back.

"Who's suffering? We are proud. A small family like ours can send our daughter to a top school! The lady next door is shocked. We are so proud" her mom says smiling.

"Very much" her dad adds. "I'm not a good student or a good athlete. I cant be on a scholarship like you. You're the one thing that I can show off to my friend." Glakao says proudly.

"Don't you worry about the expenses. Books, clothes, or miscellaneous costs may be expensive, but your mom and I intend to find money to support it." Her dad says.

Gorya smiles slightly, then looks back down at her plate with a frown.

"Why that face? Problems at school?" Her mom asks concerned.

"A little bit" Gorya says, playing with her food.

"Hang in there. I know your school is nothing like home, and you worry about the family expenses, but being at the top school is an entrance to high society and investing in your future. We are all willing to sacrifice for you to have a better life." Her mom says inspirationally.

Gorya looks up and smiles at her mom.

"Most importantly, attending a top school gives you a chance to meet and fall in love with a handsome rich guy!" Her mom says excitedly.

Gorya rolls her eyes and looks away. Everyone other than her mom facepalms at her comment.

"Such a chance is rare!" Gorya's mom says.

"So close. Enough. I'll stop sulking, let's eat." Gorya says and everyone cheers. She hates when her mom talks about meeting a 'handsome rich guy'. It's not something she wants to do, she doesn't want to fall in love with someone because of their money. She wants to find true love.

"One, two, three, Yeah!" They all shout as they raise a piece of roast duck. They laugh and begin to eat.

Whilst the family all talk, Gorya notices a poster on the floor. It was of Mira, her inspiration to go to Kocher High School. When Gorya was joining the school, Mira was giving a speech, the speech was so inspirational that Gorya decided to join there and then. She will never forget that day.