A Child's Dream

After high school I had my college portfolio submitted to the best school Earth could offer. My whole life was an argyle of studying and tests to get into this school and perhaps through this school get into the lottery for another colony. My parents guided me as best they could, they never went to college or even applied so this was all as new to them as it was to me. When I was accepted, we were all overjoyed! They were my only witness in my acceptance ceremony because I had no friends and sacrificed my life for this moment, but it was bliss, not only did my dream come true but my parents did as well. After my graduation, I worked in a small firm and then worked from home when the outbreak hit making everyone captives, unable to leave to another colony. One night my parents and I decided to have dinner together, it had been so long since I had seen them face to face. During dinner I noticed they were acting strange, my dad kept drinking everything in sight complaining about how thirsty he was, and my mother was fine only missing her eyebrows but would ignore my questions about the fact she had no eyebrows, and my dad was drinking everything in sight.

The next day I was woken up by knocking on my door and had to be tested for the virus. I learned my parents tested positive and were taken away, I feared the same for myself. I was negative and it was found I had a genetic mutation that prevented me from getting the virus so they lasered the tops of my ears with an iridescent pentagram marking me as "fertile" for future humanity and placing my name in the lottery for relocation another colony.

To this day I feel great shame for knowing I am not only allowed to leave but colonies want me. My parents would be so proud to know I have lived another part of their dream, but I don't feel like it is bliss anymore.