The villain is really the hero

The days have bled together into a long and dreadful year. I keep taking out the ones who hurt people in the colony but more show up, some dangerously more powerful than I. Everything I seem to do in the colony is gibberish and no matter what it reverts to the same hell hole. Without Panada here our unit seemed to lose hope and he passed shortly after promoting me. I lost my way, stop caring, and started wondering about the planet. When I returned back the colony had grown a bit and new and more people arrived, the toxic infection of rape and murder speeding faster before I can begin to stop it. I quickly found out some were not like the others as I was not, and I knew whatever was in that vaccine was witchcraft that had given birth to a new race of humans. When this realization hit me, I know I had to protect them, we can band together and make this planet a safe haven. Just as I once did before with the captain.

Taking a night walk as I once had before looking at the new buildings, they looked more like shacks dimly a glow with light inside as there were no street lights leaving it pitch black. Tomorrow I will go to the state house and address them on this matter, I am sure they will be shocked to see me after I disappeared for so long. I have a feeling they will not listen but if I have to make them by force I will.

As I pass a shack that looks to have the door propped opened, glancing inside to see two people fighting over paprika. I rush in and pull them part, as they stop and stare at my dirty uniform both go still. The woman reacts first, "I am sorry sir, please take my ration." banding down low holding a dime size up of the red powder the old man quickly bends down and whispers his apologies. Both are scared and shaking, and I stare at the pour creatures infuriated that they have to fight over this. "what are your names," I ask squatting down to their level but they both run out into the void of night. With a sigh I stand and walk once more down the dark street. I will change things.