TWENTY FOUR

It had taken Liam begging her to not kill anyone before the end of the day for her to go to their science glass peacefully. That, and the promise of a week's worth of coffee, but that was nothing new. The only way his coffee debt to her could actually be paid off would be gifting her a Starbucks for Christmas.

The final warning bell rang just as they were ducking through the door. "So our guidance councillor is actually a werewolf hunter," Mason hissed, looking between the two of them. They had both piled together everything they could potentially think of on Monroe and summed it up in the walk to class. "I'm never seeking guidance again."

"Am I allowed to hate her in peace now," Katherine grumbled at them.

Liam sighed tiredly. "Yeah, you can hate her in peace."

Since there were very few desks with two spaces available, Katherine sat next to a guy she didn't recognise while Liam did the same with another girl who was sitting in front of Mason and Corey. The guy repeatedly glanced over at her, then grabbed his things and stood up. She then noticed that the girl Liam had sat beside did the same thing, and were now both standing together at the side of the room.

Ms Finch, their biology teacher, had noticed before she could do anything. "Is there a problem?" She asked blankly, scanning the room.

"No, not with us two," Liam mumbled.

"I'll just partner up with him," Katherine hummed, grabbing her own things from the desk. She shot the guy who had left a look because two can play that game, then sat down beside Liam.

"If this behaviour continues," Ms Finch warned the class, "I'll be failing all of you in the next lab." No one said anything out loud, but it was clear that was preferable to some.

He anxiously grabbed her hand under the desk while him, Corey and Mason were hissing about things only getting worse, and how the entire lacrosse team was looking for Liam and blocking the exits out of the school.

"I could handle things," she told the three of them quietly, glancing at her bat that was sticking out of the zipper in Mason's backpack.

"No," they all said at once.

"What?" Katherine demanded, her voice raising a tone. "They want to see violent behaviour? I'll show them some fucking violent behaviour."

"That's not happening," Liam shook his head at her, though he squeezed her hand appreciatively.

"It could happen."

"It definitely won't."

For the entirety of the class they worked on questions to the lab they had done the previous day, though Katherine had already finished the work as she hadn't slept at all the night before. There was no point when all she saw was Brett's closed eyes and Lori's bloody hair whenever she closed her eyes.

The only dreams that would come would be nightmares. She'd had enough of those.

So when class had ended, Corey had used his abilities that earned him the name Mr Camo Pants to help Liam get through the hallways with the intention of escaping the lacrosse team and getting him outside to his car for the end of the day. She had unfortunately not been given her bat back, as they were all certain she was going to use it at the first chance she got, but she had been tasked with getting the students in the hallways out of the way.

It worked for a while until they came across a pair of boys with their arms crossed, standing in the middle of the hall while looking directly at them. No matter what hall they turned down they were met with the same fate. Katherine was ready to pummel them all into the floor, but what she wasn't ready for was the handful of mountain ash that was thrown onto Liam and Corey from behind them.