You Told Me To Forget (But I Can't)

I open the front door and let it go, not bothering to close it properly. It slams closed, its deafening thud echoing throughout the extravagance that is my house. If my mother were home, I would absolutely be reprimanded for 'improper behaviour', even though I'm a grown woman, but I couldn't care less. In part of being furious with the council, I'm also mad at her. My father, however, is home, sitting on the couch with a cuppa tea in hand. He turns to look at me, setting the cup down on a saucer.

"Caitlyn, there you are sweetheart. Was the council alright?" he asks before his brow furrows. "Where's the girl you were with? Vi was it?" I can't help it as I scoff lightly and shake my head, making my way past the living room to head upstairs. The tell tale sign of my boots being wet from the rain presents itself as my steps squeak as I walk.

"Caitlyn?" I hear my father get up and before I know it, he's standing in front of me, his hands on my shoulders. The position similar to how I stopped Vi outside, not even ten minutes ago.

"I'm sorry Father, but I really don't want to discuss anything right now," I tell him as gently as I can. His eyes soften and he nods his head, pulling me in for a hug before letting me go.

Heading up the stairs, I look up at my family's portrait and can't help but look around the house. The fancy decor, gilded interior, it's all practically screaming my family's status from the rooftops. And I absolutely hate it. Feelings of being undeserving of such finery present in my chest. The council, who stand above all in Piltover, has made it abundantly clear that they don't care about the Undercity and once again, as they have been for years, stick their heads in the dirt. The people down there are sick and suffering and everyone up here's planning the next big gala. We've failed them and in doing so, failed Vi. What is there to celebrate?

I finally stop staring and head upstairs. I stop by the bathroom, grabbing a towel to ring out my hair from the excess water. I make my way into my bedroom, shutting the door carefully this time and throw the towel onto my bed. I kick off my boots and shrug off my drenched uniform. Opening my wardrobe, I pull out a tank top and shorts. Now feeling dry, I sit down on my floor, staring over my map of Piltover and the Undercity.

My eyes wander over the several tacks and strings and scattered pieces of paper. My gaze stops and glowers at the big, golden 'Piltover' sign in the top, left corner of the map. For somewhere that claims to be 'the city of progress,' they're doing a poor job. Sure, they've succeeded in inventing new tech and transportation, thanks to Jayce, but it's failed to progress forward with the things that are actually important.

Jayce. I still can't believe what I was hearing him say at the council meeting. He went from being the curious, determined inventor who I've known since I was a kid, to almighty councilman, seemingly hellbent on stampeding the Undercity. I need to talk to him. I shake my head for what seems to be the thousandth time today and rub at my eyes, climbing into bed. Having a tired mind won't do me any favours, so I'll wait to see Jayce until the morning.

***

I stare up at the ceiling for what feels like ages. So much for sleeping. I roll over and try to close my eyes. As soon as I do, though, my vision is flooded with images of Vi. Huffing, I roll onto my back, staring around my room.

"I'm doing this to protect you." Her words play over in my head, before I sit myself up, swinging my legs off the bed. Fuck this. I need to go talk to Jayce now. I go to exit my room before realizing I can't go out like this. My uniform is still wet, so I can't wear that, either. I look over and hanging off my dressing screen is the outfit I wore in the Undercity. I grab it without a second thought, throwing it on as well as the matching boots before heading back to the door.

As my hand grips the handle, I hear my father talking to my mother, who is now back home. I'm not in any position to talk to her right now but I need to get out of here. I look over at my window, remembering climbing through it earlier today with Vi. I slide it up and open, sticking my head out. The rain's stopped, so that's a bonus. I step onto the sill, sitting myself down and closing the window behind me. I lower myself onto the next ledge and then drop down to the ground, wincing as my injury lets me know it's not happy with the sudden impact.

As I step out of the gate, I realize that if my mother's back home, Jayce most likely won't be at the council anymore, either. Pinching the bridge of my nose, I think until it hits me. Whenever Jayce is mad or stressed, he goes to the forge. I start to quickly make my way through the streets, the heels of my boots echoing in the dead silence of the night.

***

I finally arrive and step inside. Walking through the massive building, I see Jayce. Instead of clanging metal, he's talking to someone. Even more curious, I walk further in. As I get two steps in, the other figure moves towards him, one of his gauntlets enveloping their hand. My breath hitches as I recognize Vi's voice. Quietly stepping into the shadows, I cup a hand to my ear, trying to hear what they're saying. I'm too far away, though.

I keep my hand cupped as I slowly walk towards them, heel to toe. Now about twelve feet away, I can hear properly. They're talking about Silco, Jayce asking Vi what she wants him to do and Vi explaining about how the Undercity is controlled by Silco's Shimmer production. Are they going to team up?! My question is answered as Vi tells him that they need to take out the Shimmer manufacturing facilities and then extends her gauntleted hand in waiting agreement. He doesn't shake her hand but he nods.

"How do we even get there?" he asks.

"Lucky for you, you have a guide. I lived down there for the first fifteen years of my life before your late sheriff arrested me. You've been down there, like what, once? So, stick with me. There's trains that transport Shimmer through the mines from the facilities. We need to get rid of as much Shimmer as possible so we'll sneak our way in by hopping onto a train that's heading back. The next batch that's loaded on, take it out and then head down to the centre core," Vi game plans as she grabs the other gauntlet, sliding her hand in and activating it.

I listen intently to Vi, memorizing her plan and engraving it into my brain. I quickly but quietly leave as to not bring any attention to myself. If Vi knows I'm here, she'll be adamant about getting me to stay. Not going to happen.

Knowing the fact that we're headed to Silco's Shimmer facilities, I just know the place will be guarded. And I fear it may be by Shimmer ridden people or creatures. Vi has been fighting pretty much her whole life from what I've learned but I don't know how Jayce is going to be able to potentially handle any intense fighting. As strong as I know Vi is, I fear that if Jayce can't do shit, she won't be able to possibly fight off at least a hundred guards on her own. I'm going to help her.

I need a rifle.