[3]

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

"I feel awful..." Luke muttered, a sense of deep woven misery encompassing his being as he sat slouched at Michael's kitchen table.

The officer's home was far from anything Luke was used to, it was pristine, clean, neat, lived in, with a soft palette of nice white shades and beige colour tones giving it a sense of modernity Luke had never found in Ashton's trailer-park design of a home.
Where Ashton had a home just as shelter, Michael seemed to have a home he truly wanted to live in. Spend time in. Relax in.
Ashton didn't know such luxuries, all he knew was work and violence; it was all he had ever known and all he had ever shown Luke.

"For what?" Michael set a hot cup of coffee down in front of the seated blond, himself already dressed and ready for work; police uniform hidden beneath a plain black jacket

"Maybe we shouldn't have fucked on his bed..." Luke pondered, pressing a hand to his forehead and resting his elbow on the glass table; plate of half eaten toast in front of him begging to be finished before its butter went soggy and the bread went cold.

"Funny." Michael leaned back against the kitchen counter, nonchalant. "It was your bed too, pet. Reckon that means you can do what you damn well please."

Luke was quiet for a moment, moving his arm back down to rest upon the cool glass and letting his gaze linger on his toast as his mind strained to process the shrill chaos inside.

"I don't know what to think anymore..." Luke gave a weighted sigh of dismay, reaching for his coffee cup.

"Listen, pet, I gotta go." Michael regretfully cut their conversation short, his watch ticking closer to his shift's start as he rest a hand on Luke's shoulder ever so briefly. "But you stay here, yeah? We'll talk later."

"Sure..." Luke couldn't think of anything else to say and as Michael left it felt as though his heart was being ripped from his chest with each step further away the officer took.

He was in shatters, what was he doing with his life? He had thrown everything away and for what?
God... that wasn't a good argument, Michael was everything Luke had always wanted. Smart, strong, confident, kind, assertive. And him being untouchable? Utterly out of reach from any who tried to take him down? It made him so much more alluring to Luke, like a dangerous criminal atop a throne of betrayal and death.

But Ashton had been his love for so long. He had watched the man grow his underground reign from scratch and pathetic pots of cannabis seeds, been by Ashton's side as the man rose further and further into the ranks of the evil and vile.
And yes, maybe the more Ashton saw of the criminal world the more Ashton became one with evil, and yes Ashton had drastically changed from the man Luke fell for to the man Luke settled for; but he had always been Luke's.

He had always been by Luke's side, had always given Luke everything the blond had ever asked for, he always had Luke's back from the snide comments of other criminals landing them in fresh burials to the insulting jeers of people Luke had considered friends.
Ashton always had his back. It was them against the world, even if their love was toxic it felt so right.