[6]

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

Calum had uttered not a single lie when he promised he would give his all to Ashton; his mind, his body, his soul.
He loved hard and he loved deeply, an obsessive sense of chaos many would run away from; he had to know where Ashton was at all times, watch the shadows for threats to his lover's life, and destroy all who even dared step too close.

There were graveyards of people who had gotten too close to what was his, and so long as he lived they would continue to grow.
But Ashton didn't seem to mind, in fact if the man were honest he felt enamoured someone cared for him so much; someone was willing to fight to the death for him, and by the gods he would never let that go.

Calum had spent weeks pinning for his perfect revenge, offering bits and pieces of ideas to Ashton who listened with keen ears; ever so curious as to what his partner had in mind.

And then, one quiet Tuesday night, Calum had his opportunity. Michael was gone for a late patrol shift and the apartment was wide open for destruction, a pathetic little blond lying in wait all for Calum's vengeance.
It was easy for him to slip into the building, a guise he took by swindling his way into an older woman's heart. He slashed her clean open in her kitchen, leaving her body to bleed out and rot; her purpose served and her existence no longer needed once he had gotten inside the complex.

She was a fool to ever think Calum could love her. There was no one in existence he could ever love beyond his Ashton.

With an expert pick of the lock, Calum broke into the loving couple's home with no care for staying hidden as he flicked the house lights on, room by room searching for cameras until he finally came to a stop in the doorway of the master bedroom.

It was dark inside, blankets bundled up and bunched over a male figure hidden beneath them; he supposed Luke must feel the cold considering he was covered completely, but he didn't care much for it--taking his faved knife from its hidden place against his upper thigh, skirt fabric moved briefly out the way before he raised his blade high.

"Drop the knife or I'll shoot your fucking head off, slut!"

Calum had barely reached the side of the bed, his eyes shooting upward as a bedside lamp was switched on to reveal Luke's figure standing on the opposite side of the bed; gun steady in his hands and vicious eyes steeled on the intruder.
Calum felt his anger swell deep within, fingers curled tight to the handle of his knife as sheer frustration flooded his senses.

No. No. NO. This was not how it was supposed to go. This was all wrong.
This pathetic blond whore was supposed to die!

"Smarter than you look..." Calum hissed, reluctantly dropping his knife onto the bed and raising his hands in surrender.

"You don't agree to marry a policeman without knowing how to fight." Luke spat, his words sweeping Calum into a haze of realisation; brown eyes catching sight of a glinting diamond ring on the slender male's finger.

"You filthy fucking mutt. Do you have any idea the damage you've done?!" Calum was enraged, his vision turning red--a crimson death overwhelming his mind. Luke had moved on as if Ashton were nothing, his suffering was long overdue and Calum needed to make him pay. "You're miserable, a horrible freak of existence! How dare you?!"

"What-?" Luke's brows creased in confusion, shaking his head as if to dismiss it. "Who the fuck are you? What the hell do you want?"

"You ruined Ashton and you don't even care." Calum seethed, "I'm not surprised you found your way onto pig dick."

"Ruined-?! He was a bastard!" Luke spat straight back. "Who the fuck are you to talk to me like that?!"

"I'm the man who fixed him." Calum could truly feel the itching need to grab his knife, a burning sensation of sheer violence rushing to the tips of his fingers, but he knew better than to do such a thing.
A knife to a gun fight? He was as good as dead, and a dead man was no help to Ashton.
"And we're gonna fucking kill you."

"Sure you are, mate."

Calum's stomach dropped instantaneously, his head falling in pure dismay at the mere sound of someone else's voice from behind him.
He felt his world crumble in seconds, dejected and shattered, his plans destroyed by his own stupid arrogance--his own insistence Luke was a pitiful creature with nothing to his name.
He should've known better.

"You know the drill, FireFly." Michael's heavy steps could be heard from behind him, the police officer stepping out from the hallway in complete uniform; cuffs ready in his grasp. "Hands up behind your head."

"You're a fucking idiot." Luke kept his gun trained on the threatening brunet, watching with great relief as Calum was shoved forward into the bed; arms ripped behind his back and bound by silver.
"You really thought I wouldn't call the cops on a burglar?"

"Fuck you, you serpent bitch." Calum hissed, cheek pressed to soft bedsheets as the devil's song of metal was clinked in place. "You'll die soon enough for what you've done."

"You got the right to remain silent," Michael didn't care to be gentle; roughhousing the brunet to stand straight and dragging him out the room, "anything you do or say can and will be used against you in a court of law-"

"Just fucking shoot me, pig!" Calum was so much like Ashton, fighting against the cuffs and spitting vile hatred. It almost seemed a bit amusing to Michael. "I'll gut you and your whole goddamn fucking family, you rotten festering sleaze!"

"Man, I've been waitin' a long time to put you behind bars." Michael casually said, hauling Calum out the apartment and bringing him to the main corridor where other officers were already waiting.

Luke must've heard Calum open the goddamn door lock and seen him on camera doing it.

"You and your little arson days are over." Michael concluded, passing Calum off to a pair of officers who grabbed him by his arms.

"Take him downtown, and put a code twelve out for Ashton Irwin. That's this FireFly's accomplice." Michael ordered, his instructions followed without push back. "Warn the public, he'll be armed and dangerous. Especially when he finds out we got his sweetheart behind bars."

"Can do, sir." One of the two nodded their acknowledgement before the pair dragging an extensively enraged Calum away.

"I didn't pin FireFly as a romance kinda guy." Another cop couldn't help but comment, taking out a notepad and pen to get ready to take Luke's witness statement. "Just a 'fuck society, let it burn' type."

"Even the darkest hearts want love, mate." Michael humoured, patting the man's shoulder. "Take your wife for example."

"Oh fuck you." The man snorted.

"Hey," Michael joked, "don't talk fast 'round the water cooler if you don't want the commentary."

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜