•6•

•••

"shine, did you get the flowers? they are going to be here soon and i dont want it to look like we've been cleaning all day." flore always stresses herself out whenever we have guests. its something my mom did too and it must've passed down because all morning shes been hounding me to make sure everything is perfect. we've been vacuuming, cooking, doing the dishes, fluffing and re-fluffing the pillows all day.

i just got home from the store because flore realized we were out of nutmeg for our cinnamon rolls and that the flowers on our kitchen island were dead. i cant believe it took her four weeks fo notice they were dead, but then again, shes hardly been home.

"yeah, i got them dont worry!" i call to her from the front door, not mentioning the truck i see pulling into the driveway. i head to the kitchen to put them into a vase as the doorbell rings.

"ill get it!" flore shouts as she races to the door. i give her a weird look, not understanding why shes acting so awkward today.

i can hear ber open the door and greet whoever is on the other side. as i am fiddling with the flowers, hangman walks into the kitchen with a bouquet that he must've brought.

"florence told me i could bring these to you, although i didnt know yall would already have some." he sets them on the counter as i hear someone knock on the door.

"oh, she made me go get them today. thank you for brining these anyway." i say, smiling at him despite our small work induced feud. i pick them up and combine them into the same vase my flowers were in.

we both walk together into the living room where flore is welcoming pheonix, fanboy, and payback. coyote must've come with hangman because he is already settled into our couch, his feet kicked up onto our freshly cleaned coffee table. hangman settles in beside him, nudging his feet down as he does so.

"hey i brought mashed potatoes, payback and fanboy brought some corn too, where should we put them?" pheonix lets me lead them into the kitchen where they set their food on the counter.

"oh, phoenix these potatoes look incredible," my eyes roll back in my head as i lift the lid off and smell them. she smiles at me and opens her mouth to say something when fanboy beats her to it.

"what about our corn? we shucked it all morning, it was not fun."

"the corn looks amazing too, thank you for coming." i laugh and high five the tow boys as we walk back to the living room. everyone takes a seat on the couch and i sit on the floor in front of the tv, which is playing some quiet music.

"when are we going to eat? im starving." theres a chorus of agreements as hangman calls attention to everyones hunger.

"as soon as roosters here we can start, we have a few more minutes on the chicken anyway." flore responds to him, i notice shes sitting awfully close to him and i assume it must be his weight on the couch pulling her in.

"classic bradshaw, being too slow." he says to the group.

"hey, dont be mean, no one likes that." i glare at him playfully. "although he is taking forever and im starving too." just as i say that, the doorbell rings and i get up to let him in.

"speak of the devil." fanboy says as Bradshaw comes inside, handing me a tray a of rolls.

"y'all were talking about me?" he asks unbothered he follows me into the kitchen as be continues the conversation with the rest of the group.

"just about your rugged good looks and that ugly ass mustache on your face." pheonix responds, joking. he laughs and the people in the living room start talking about something else.