•10•

•••

"attention on deck!" the sound of several chairs squeaking on the ground of the hangar reverberates around the room as we all stand up.

cyclone stands next to warlock who is addressing us. i sit next to rooster on his left. i tried to sit next to storm but she somehow ended up at the front next to hangman and there were no other available seats.

the awkwardness surrounding rooster and i is astounding, i cringe inwardly at the feeling. i would rather be anywhere else right now.

"your instructor is a top gun graduate who has real world experience." i tune in to the vice admiral, interested in whoever our instructor is. since we are all the best there is, they would have to get an incredible pilot to be able to teach us anything. "his exploits are legendary. welcome captain pete mitchell. callsign maverick."

i turn to look down the aisle as maverick walks toward the podium. when he meets my gaze i shake my head and look away. i look at bradshaw to see him looking in the opposite direction.

once he is at the podium, maverick looks at everyone of us. i roll my eyes at him and look back at bradshaw again. im shocked at the look of hatred he is giving maverick. even i dont hate him that much.

"the f-18 natops. im assuming you know the book inside and out?" theres a series of responses from the aviators around the room before maverick drops the manual in the trash bin beside him. "so does your enemy."

i scoff and bradshaw and i share a look.

"what your enemy doesnt know is your limits. i intend to learn them, push beyond them. so lets start with what you only think you know. show me what youre made of." at that all the pilots head to the locker rooms to get out flight gear on.

after the other girls and i change we were told to go to the lounge room to listen to the other pilots do their runs. we can hear payback and fanboy already making a deal with maverick for whoever loses.

"i am not doing 200 pushups." i groan when the boys offer that. i have no doubt that maverick will win.

"that sounds like hell." storm agrees with me and we take a seat on the couch.

"this guy needs an ego check." hangman speaks up, looking at a plane model. i snort out loud at him and storm snickers into her fist.

"says the guy who needs an ego check," storm whispers to me and i laugh.

"well see to that," two guys clap hands over the pool table. i didnt bother learning their names.

i hear the pilots in the air sorely lose to maverick, thats when i know im in for it. i doubt he will go easy on me.

before i know it storm and i are in the air with hangman and rooster. of course maverick is there as well but i decided to just ignore him.

"so rooster, mind if i ask you a personal question?" hangman is the first to initiate a conversation in the air.

"would it matter if i did?"

"so whats the story with you and maverick? he seems to have you a little rattled."

"thats none of your business."