Chapter Nine; The First Day

Thea happily watched her reflection in the mirror complete the last three buttons of her off-white flatly ironed school shirt. Once she had finished buttoning up she proceeded to neatly tuck the loose shirt into her waist high flay skirt.  Her school uniform was simple. The shirt had a golden insignia embroidered to its top left corner which represented the school.   Thea fiddled with the  buttons on the shirt as she drifted into thought. They were moulded into mini crosses which somehow perfectly fit into the holes made for them. Such tailoring genius continuously served as a mystery to her.

Granted a lot of strange things transpired during Annus Novus and the days following it.  The past two weeks had been relatively normal. Typically the normal she was acoustomed to so she had made the decision to ignore it all. To attribute it all to stress and focus on school. This year was going to be phenomenal

"Thea my daughter-" That familiar voice she adored being serenaded by every morning called out to her.

Althereasa forwarded an apprehensive look at her not fully dressed daughter. "-Do you plan on going late on the first day?"

"Heavens No Mother. With the position I now hold in school, l wouldn't even dream of it."

"As an incredibly wise woman once advised me. With any form of authority bestowed, commands great responsibility and even greater discipline." Thea dramatically held her chest high and spoke as though reciting a pledge.

"Silly girl. Do not patronise me with those sly antics of yours." The nun attempted to restrain a smile at her theatrics but in vain.

"Your Uncle and cousin have arrived. Let's not delay them." Thea lit up even more as she heard the word uncle.

"Ofcourse mother dearest." She swiftly adorned her sacred accesories- Medallions, pendants an bracelets; After which, her mother escorted her out of the room.

"Uncle!"

Hezekiah was slightly above  average height with thick dark hair but he flaunted even thicker facial hair. It was the most unique thing about his appearance.

Your beard could disguise the sun. Thea would often joke as the man took great pride in it. He was a kind and ever loving  middle aged man sporting very similar features as that of his beautiful elder sister.

Around his late forties, there stood the man who was akin to a father in her heart

"My Godsent child." His arms parted beside him in an inviting gesture, an invitation to which she honoured.

"I wasn't certain you were going to pick me up today."

"And here I thought we had an understanding. I always drop my daughter off every first day of school, Are you not my daughter as well?"

"Gratias tibi valde Frater." Althereasa smiled with immense gratitude washing off of her."

"My Sister, you know that is not needed. Come let's leave before you girls will be late."

"Pardon me a moment, Thea take this sweater along with you." The nun extended a home-knit purple long sleeve sweater jacket. "The weather of this town is quite unpredictable."

Not seeing the need for it, Thea refused politely. Gravestone was a generally a cold region, as previously established; Today, however, was one of its relatively warmer days and this time she  confirmed she wasn't the only one who felt it. The sweater would be unnecessary she had protested but Althereasa insisted.

"Just in case."

****

Immaculate Heart High