Chapter 10

The butler entered the room with tea, filling the silent void, and Clara continued to ponder Charles's advice. He was not what she was expecting. He was more manipulative than she gave him credit for. And more intimidating. Clara couldn't say yet if she liked him or not.

Charles had explained he was just trying to prepare her for what was to come, but it was all rather presumptuous since the Queen had yet to decide. Not to mention, that while she appreciated advice, she hadn't been expecting it to be the first thing they talked about.

The man learned he has a long-lost daughter, and rather than getting to know her, he offended her, manipulated her, and gaslighted her, all within an hour of meeting her. Odd is the first word that comes to mind when thinking of him.

Clara took a deep breath, before proceeding to sit back down. It wasn't until the butler left that she spoke.

"You're right. I do need to make a choice," Clara mumbled as she looked down at her fidgeting hands. "This is just so overwhelming and making a decision.... scares me." She looked up at Charles with frightened eyes.

He offered a sympathetic smile. "Of course, it's scary. We understand becoming a Royal can be overwhelming. Especially, since you weren't raised to carry the weight of being one. However, that doesn't mean you can't handle it. Kate proved herself to be well equipped to handle it all. And she grew up a commoner like you." He gestured towards Clara.

"Yes, but didn't she have years to prepare?" Clara remarked. "How many years were she and William dating before he proposed?"

Charles deflected her question, "Well, if we could, we would give you the time, but I'm afraid the more we wait for you to be ready, the higher the chance the press will find out who you are."

"I know, I understand." Clara nodded and released a breath. "I've talked about it with Will and Harry. I don't expect to be given years, but I at least wanted a proper meeting to get to know you all." She gazed intently at him. "You do realize that everything I know about you comes from the press? And it's not exactly favorable. I was hoping this meeting would help me get to know who you.... really are." Her voice wavered.

"I see," Charles swallowed. "I guess I haven't been the most charming person. I can see how I came across as cold, but like I've said, I'm only trying to prepare you," he said genuinely. "I'm merely trying to prevent the past from repeating itself. I don't want to make the same mistake."

Clara looked at him confused. "What do you mean?"

"Well, it took me several years to swallow my pride and realize what a selfish and horrible thing I'd done to Diana. I didn't love her when I proposed." Charles looked down at his hands as he fiddled with his ring. "I had just needed to fulfill my royal duty, and at the time, Diana seemed to be the perfect bride since my family approved of her.

"Thus, throughout our courtship I did my best to win her over, charm her, and get to know her." He rolled his eyes. "But I never quite prepared her for what it meant to be a part of the Royal Family," he looked back up at Clara. "So, forgive me, for skipping the pleasantries, but I felt it more important to prepare you now and get to know you later. From what Harry and William have told me though, you seem to be a remarkable young lady," he praised.

She smiled in return, "Thank you. I understand better now," she furrowed her eyebrows and continued though. "But was it really.... necessary to manipulate me in that way?" she timidly asked.

"Yes, you can't let others goade you. You have to be able to put your foot down. You eventually did–" he acknowledged with a tilt of his head– "but only when I talked badly about your loved ones. You didn't stand up for yourself. You must learn eventually, before it becomes too late," he emphasized. "I'm afraid I learned too late.