Chapter 1 : Ryujin

They're both six years old when they promise to love each other forever. It happens on the trampoline in Winter's backyard, while Ryujin and Yeji are inside to beg Winter's mom for more cookies.

Karina and Winter settle down, laying on their backs to look at the clouds in the sky. Well, Karina is. Winter is looking at Karina. It's not a conscious decision-Karina is just really pretty. Prettier than the sky. Definitely prettier than the clouds.

It's quiet for a few moments, but Winter doesn't mind. Silences with Karina are never uncomfortable. But talking to Karina is even better, so Winter's heart kind of jumps when Karina gasps and grabs her hand, points at the sky, and says, "That one looks like a mandu."

Winter tears her gaze away from Karina to look at the dumpling-shaped cloud, and she has to admit Karina's right. Her smile reflects Karina's. "It does."

Karina's face is really close, and the twinkle in her eyes is so happy Winter can't really help but lean in. She doesn't know why she's so compelled to press her lips against Karina's, but it's sort of nice. It's also sort of gross, but the niceness definitely outweighs the grossness.

For two heartbeats nothing happens. Neither of them moves. Winter's eyes flutter closed. She wonders if this is what her parents feel like sometimes when their faces are really close to each other when they're talking.

Then Karina pulls back, frowning a little. "What was that?"

Winter needs a moment to get herself together, and her eyes are still closed, but Karina's voice grounds her a little. She looks into Karina's eyes-there's a slightly confused expression in them, but also something else that looks a little like the way Winter's heart is beating against her chest. And Winter doesn't know why, but she's relieved. "I'm not sure."

Karina doesn't move. "You kissed me."

"I guess," Winter says in a soft voice. "Was that okay?"

Karina's frown deepens, like she's deep in thought. Then she shrugs, her lips curling up into a shy smile. "I guess. But why?"

Winter blinks. She didn't think that far ahead yet. "I don't know. My mom and dad kiss all the time, and then they say they love each other."

"Oh." Karina pauses for a moment, her frown disappearing. Her eyes flicker down to Winter's mouth, and before Winter realizes what's happening, Karina pecks her lips and says, "I love you."

Winter tries to ignore the butterflies in her stomach, but she smiles and rolls back on her back. Her hand finds Karina's, and she gives it a soft squeeze. "I love you, too."

"Forever?" Karina asks, her voice timid and shy in comparison to before.

"Forever."

And then Ryujin and Yeji come running outside with an entire pack of cookies between them and half-eaten ones in their hand, and Karina jumps up to grab the cookies before Ryujin eats them all.

*

Things don't change in the years after that. They still hang out every day after school, usually at Winter or Karina's house, because they're neighbors and they live closest to school.

But then things do start to change. It happens on Winter's eleventh birthday, when they're in the backyard, playing by the trampoline. Their parents are all inside, eating cake and talking about boring adult stuff, and Winter's next to Yeji, leaning her arms on the trampoline while Karina and Ryujin are jumping up and down.

It's not the most comfortable position, but Winter doesn't mind because she likes it when Karina's happy and Karina looks really happy right now. Winter could probably watch her for hours.