𝑝𝑎𝑟𝑡 𝑡𝑤𝑜

---------------

Philippians 2:3
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, rather in humility value others above yourselves,

"SIR YOU ought to get out of bed," said Chance. "I understand it isn't the most exciting of days to you, but nonetheless it's better to face it than to hide."

I groaned and turned away from the door. I would prefer it be any other day than today. Today was supposedly one for the books, just not in mine.

"Chance, would you by chance have a weapon of some sort?" I asked.

He looked at me, sighing.

"Son, I know you don't want to go through with today's gala, but you cannot injure yourself and call it a day," he replied while shaking his head.

"Remember what happened during your inaugural to the company?"

Spring, two years ago. I had been drinking so much that I threw up all over the Karastan rugs, I felt bad honestly. Father was furious and called it both immature and clumsy, even going as far to saying he had my consent when I was sober and signed in my place.

The press, however, loved the coverage.

Looking at him I replied, "Of course I remember, father didn't let it go for months."

I sighed, looking down as I pulled the the black comforter off of me and sat up at the side of my bed.

"Chance, can you do one thing for me?"

"It depends now, son," he said sarcastically as he folded some clothes sprawled on my dresser.

"Please, I'm serious."

He picked up a white t-shirt. "What would you like? Water or a snack?"

"Can you tell me the story of how you met Patricia?"

He froze. His once blank face broke into a smile as he looked in my direction. "Of course."

He put the clothes down as he walked to sit next to me on my bed, pushing the comforter aside to make room for himself.

"It all started in high school. I on the soccer team, and so was she but in the female league," he said with light in his eyes as he looked at the creme wall.

"One day I wasn't feeling the so confident and my leg was sore from practice, but I stayed after school until dusk to practice," he said. "She had been watching me and I was oblivious to it. She shouted, 'Aim from the opposite side, you're out of range!'," he said with a chuckle.

"I didn't know anyone was watching so I jumped and saw someone hide back behind the bleachers, but I used that advice and sure enough, it worked."

"Weeks went by and she wouldn't escape my mind. It was like she was glued to it."

"One day our school decided to have boy's and girl's teams play against each other for charity week, betting on which team would win. We played the girl's team and were tied. In the end we shook hands to say 'good game' to each player but when I got to her she said 'Did my advice help or what?'. Ah son, I turned red when she said that!"

"Afterwards, we became friends and stayed after school to play each other and give each other advice. Long story short, we both graduated and married at 22."

I looked up at Chance. He was beaming with joy, a rare sight. He had a glow in his eyes that couldn't be bought with anything at all. It was something I yearned for, but wouldn't like to admit.