Story 5: My loving you meant only heartaches...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sarah Heathcliff mourning the loss of her brother, Mark. Evelin and the BPS boys come to comfort her.

(Title inspired by 'Heartaches' by Al Bowlly)

TW: mentions of suicide, etc. Stay safe please!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The leaves under Sarah's boots crunched as she reluctantly made her way towards her brother's grave. She hated every part of it - the walk there in the darkness of the night, the silence, the memories passing by when she least expects it. Not because she dislikes remembering Mark, no. It's because she hasn't come to terms with the fact he's dead. Sarah knew it was the police's fault. It was. They hadn't answered Mark's calls, and only investigated his 'suicide' three days after he was initially dead. 

But hey, at least she had the BPS, right? Herself, Adam, Jonah and Evelin have always been there for each other. So has Dave, but the two didn't frequently talk anymore. She had everything she could ever need right now. But why does she feel as though a dagger has just been stabbed into her heart every time someone even mentions Mark's name? 

Soon enough, his gravestone came into view from behind the bushes. Taking a breath and watching it come out in a puff of white smoke in the cool air, Sarah slowly advanced towards it. The gravestones nearby do not interest her, the dark writing blurred in contrast to the paper white snow. All she was looking at was her brother's grave. A few steps later, and she was standing directly in front of the gravestone. She bent down to lay a bouquet of Mark's favourite flowers, fake of course, on the snowy gravel - red roses.

(time skip cuz I'm running out of ideas. By the way, watch some Emkay, they're a very good YouTube channel -insert thumbs up ig-)

Sarah traced her fingertips across the cracked stone of the grave. She was in a cross-legged sitting position, leaning her left arm against the side of the cold gravestone. 

"Y'know, I could never really understand why you left to live in Mandela County..." Sarah sighed to herself. She always had this habit - to talk to herself, and pretend she's actually having a conversation with someone else instead. Right now seemed like the perfect opportunity to chat. 

"Mom and dad really miss you, despite how cruel they could be sometimes. So does Dave, at least I think he does. But luckily I've made some friends! We're going to Bythorne though, so I won't be able to chat often."

Tears welled up in her eyes. Despite how strangely comforting this felt, she could barely even cast a glance at the grave beside her. 

"School has been going well, too. I've learned how to play the violin, and I've even taught myself your favourite song on it!" Her voice cracked. 

"...I miss you, Mark. I really do. I hope you can hear me, Mark. I love you, please come back. Mom and dad need you, Dave needs you, I need you..." She chuckled to herself as a single tear cascaded down her cold cheek. Why was she only now breaking down? It had been about a month since he was officially found, and she had (nearly) been completely fine. 

Silence...

"Sarah, what in the world are you doing?" Sarah recognized the voice from behind her in an instant. It was Evelin. Oh no.

"Oh, Evelin! How did you know I was..." Sarah's voice cracked more.

"Jonah saw you try to sneak out. We already assumed you were out here. You know what I said about beating yourself up about Mark."

Silence again. What more could Sarah say? Evelin had a point. 

Sarah let out a defeated sigh. "I'm sorry, Eve. I just-" She yelped quietly as a warm arm helped her up from the gravestone's side.

"No. Don't be sorry. I know you miss him, but just let us help you, Sar." Evelin shook her head to move the loose strands of hair, revealing a tired-looking, concerned but understanding face. Sarah held back another tear, smiling. 

"Okay." she managed to sigh before bringing Evelin into a hug.

The two teenage girls stood for a minute, embracing each other's freezing figures, despite having multiple layers on. After a while of silence, a voice from afar could be heard calling out to them.

"Come on idiots, the pizza's going cold! Adam decided to buy all of our favourites for the journey, so hurry up!" Jonah's muffled voice got closer and, before Sarah could be pulled out of the embrace, she was huddled up with the rest of the group. 

Evelin was wearing a beautiful cream-coloured turtleneck sweater, underneath a large dull brown coat. She had black gloves on and was wearing one of Adam's many beanies. Her large winter boots and black jeans were covered in snow, most likely from searching for Sarah.

Jonah was sporting his iconic leather jacket, over a black hoodie and long-sleeved shirt. They had dark blue ripped jeans, and was wearing a dark, dull red scarf - quite a contrast to his cool-coloured two-toned hair. They were, of course, wearing black demonias ("this is quite unsafe for snowy weather, don't you think?" Evelin had asked as Jonah struggled to put on the large boots. He only shook his head.) and had fingerless gloves on.

Adam had a monochrome Christmas sweater on, over a white polo shirt. He had blue jeans and was wearing one of Jonah's leather jackets. His other black jacket was tied up round his waist. He also had demonias on, except more suitable for snowy weather (if that's even possible) and was wearing one of his own beanies. He also had fingerless gloves on.

And Sarah had black trousers on, large pockets at its sides. She was wearing large boots similar to Evelin's except lighter in colour. She had mittens on and had a dark blue, large scarf draped around her neck. She was wearing a warm-coloured, long-sleeved shirt underneath an oversized grey hoodie. That hoodie belonged to Mark. 

The group walked through the cemetery, chatting and attempting to drift Sarah's mind away from her brother. And soon enough, all four climb into their BPS van to begin the long drive towards Bythorne County.

[BONUS FOR YOU CUZ I'M NICE. BOW DOWN /j]

Mark Heathcliff, or what was left of him, sat beside his mourning sister. He hated seeing her like this. He hated leaving her. He hated dying. But he couldn't do anything about it. 

Heathcliff listened and rested his head on his gravestone as Sarah talked. It felt just like the old times - middle school Mark walking home, only to be interrupted by his younger sister, who would immediately begin bragging about the small achievements she had accomplished that day. The memories passed by his mind, his head still aching from the gunshot wound that lead him to death. 

Sarah's chatting was interrupted by another voice. The two exchanged words, before the unknown figure pulled his sister up and embraced her. Heathcliff smiled contently. He adored seeing Sar happy. Especially after the incident. After a minute or so went by, two other figures approached. These three must be Sar's new friends. 

The three figures led Sarah away, leaving Mark's soul to stare back happily. He let out a muffled sigh.

"I miss you too, Sar. Maybe someday you could play that song on your violin for me."

Silence.

"Aww, is Marker Heathcliff getting sappy with his little sister?" taunted Cesar from behind him. Cesar was a ghost just like Mark, and both had forgiven each other. Now, they were bonding more than ever.

"OH SHUT UP, SEIZURE TORRES!" Mark shouted back before throwing a snowball at his ghostly best friend. The two ended up chasing each other around the cemetery all night.

(author note: AHAHAHAHAHA SEIZURE TORRES I'm so funny :-|. Anyways, I got really bored in the middle of this, sorry!)