#1

matthew and emilia lay on her living room couch, watching as the movie scene plays out on the flat screen tv. beside them, annabella begins giggling quietly before she ultimately snorts.

the two older brunette's look over at her with raised eyebrows as she smiles widely at them.

"is something funny, anna?" emilia asks, a smile slowly forming on her face.

"i was just thinking about something." she replies, still grinning at the couple. "if you two ever break up, it's going to be hella awkward if we stay friends with everyone else."

"well, i don't plan on breaking up with her." matt replies, pulling emilia closer to him as he focuses on the movie playing. emilia smiles to herself, taking in the conformation that he still loves her.

***

after the movie ends, it's close to 11pm, so matt decides it's probably best if he leaves now so he's not too tired.

emilia pulls away from their kiss, smiling at matt. he looks down at her before kissing her forehead.

"drive safe. i love you." emilia waves goodbye as he walks to the car. he turns around.

"i love you more." he gets into the car and drives away, leaving emilia on her front porch.

"em!" annabella calls her sister back into the living room as their favorite show comes on. "the bachelorette is on!"

as she flops onto the couch, anna lifts the blanket, allowing her sister to share it with her. they watch and gossip about the choices the people make.

"oh my gosh, she is literally so pretty." annabella sighs, leaning her head back as emilia smiles at her. "how much do you love matt?"

emilia laughs at the random question.

"a fucking lot." emilia shakes her head, looking up at the ceiling. "like, so much it's hard to explain. i would do anything in my power to make sure he's happy."

"you guys better last or love isn't real." annabella leans her head on emilia's shoulder, to which she leans her cheek on anna's head.

***

*rinnnggg, rinnnggg, rinnnggg*

emilia's phone rang nonstop until she picked up.

"hello?" emilia's hoarse voice is quiet as she sits up from the couch, careful not to wake annabella. they've only been asleep for about 10 minutes. she didn't even look at the number before she pressed accept.

"emilia?" nick's panicked voice makes her furrow her eyebrows.

"what's wrong, nick?" she immediately wakes up as she walks outside into the chilly air.

"there's been an accident." his statement makes the hairs stand up on the back of emilia's neck. "it's matt."

emilia's heart drops down to her toes as her body freezes. however, everything else is racing; her heart, her mind, her nerves.

"emilia? we need you here. he needs you." nick's voice brings her back, snapping her into reality.

"i'll be there." emilia hangs up, quickly gathering a few things from inside the house and then jumping into her car.

on the way to the hospital, emilia tries so hard to keep her composure to ensure that she doesn't wreck.

when she arrives, she nearly runs through the emergency room doors before asking for matt's room number.

"i'm sorry, we can't give that to you at this time." the nurse at the front desk says, pointing over to the group of people panicking in the waiting room.

emilia immediately walks over to the sturniolo's, hugging nick tightly as he messes with the rings on his fingers. his eyes are red and puffy, along with chris, who's standing slightly behind marylou.

"what even happened?" emilia's voice comes out in a low tone, her eyes beginning to feel itchy.

"all we know is when he was on the way home, a truck ran the red light and hit the passenger side door of the van." jimmy explains to her, hugging her side in attempt to comfort her. "he's in pretty bad shape, emilia."

"when can we see him?" she asks, looking over at the family with watery eyes.

mary lou shrugs her shoulders, pushing the stray hairs back down. "they said they'll come get us."

emilia nods and sits down on the waiting room chair, slouching down and watching as nick and chris sit on each side of her. emilia leans her head onto chris' shoulder, sighing as he leans his head onto hers.

"i'm scared, em." chris whispers, lowly, only with enough volume for the girl beside him to hear. she grabs him hand, comforting him.

"me too." she admits, closing her eyes. "but he'll pull through. he's going to be better eventually."

***

"mr and mrs sturniolo?" a nurse carrying a clipboard asks, looking at the only people in the waiting room. mary lou and jimmy immediately walk over, with the others behind them. "matthew's in very bad shape. he has a dislocated shoulder, which the doctors have already fixed, and a concussion. as of right now, matthew is in a coma, but we are hopeful he'll be out of it very soon."

mary lou begins to cry again as jimmy puts an arm around her. "when can we see him?" jimmy asks the nurse so no one else has to.

"follow me." she gives a sympathetic smile, motioning for the family, along with emilia, to follow her.

they are taken into a large white room full of machines and tubes surrounding matt. emilia gasps quietly, seeing him with a tube in his mouth, allowing him to breathe. he looks as if he's sleeping, but that doesn't stop emilia's anxiety to rise.

mary lou sits beside his bed, taking one of his hands in her own as she cries. nick puts a hand on matt's shoulder, rubbing his thumb back and forth. chris looks as if he wants to touch matt, but he doesn't want to hurt him or mess anything up.

emilia stands back, letting the family take it in before she sits next to his side.

immediately, her mind is flooded with thoughts about him and his recovery.

what if he doesn't get better? is it my fault? he was on the way home from my house. if i had just went to his place this would've never happened.

emilia sits in the corner, silently crying as the family cries around matt's unconscious body.

🖤🤍🖤🤍
this is such a shitty first chapter but the drama will be stirring soon

luv u guys :))