Prologue

Adjective: Special

• What is important; relevant; unusual; admirable.

• Something very important and fundamental to something or someone.

***

"Look, there's a school cook position."

"Not even dead" Jennie shook her head once more.

"Hairdresser" Jisoo said laughing.

"Very funny" Jennie rolled her eyes.

"As a saleswoman?" The girl raised an eyebrow.

"It's kind of tempting, but I want something that makes more money than that"

"You're going to be a prostitute, then!"

Jennie clenched her jaw and shot her friend a cold look.

"Whoa, but it is a good proposal." Jisoo shrugged, holding back a laugh.

"Fuck off."

"Damn she stop being grumpy" Jisoo huffed, pushing Jennie by the shoulders.

"I want a job, damn it!" the shorter one exclaimed, running her hands through her hair.

"You're not old enough to have a steady job, dammit!" Jisoo sharpened her voice, in order to imitate Jennie.

"I know..." Jennie covered her face with her hands, letting out a muffled cry, "But I need that fucking phone!"

"Jen, let's go for a walk to cool your head. That will make you think better." Jisoo patted Jennie's shoulders. Jennie sighed and began massaging her temples.

"Okay." Jennie stood up and tossed her hair to one side, putting on the jacket that hung on the rack by the entrance. "Where we go?"

"Let's go with dona Anne... you need one of those cappuccinos"

"Yes, I really need it" Jennie sighed.

***

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Anne" Jennie greeted the lady as she entered the establishment.

"Good afternoon, dears" the woman answered somewhat saddened.

"What happened?" Jisoo asked, leaning against the counter. Jennie did the same and took a donut from the jar next to the cash register, placing it in her mouth at once.

"Oh, it's nothing." Anne said, letting out a sigh.

"Anne Manoban is never sad." Jennie said, drumming her fingers on the glass counter.

"She can tell us, aunt." Jisoo patted the older one on the shoulder.

"It's nothing major... it's just that I can't find a babysitter for my daughter. I fired the last one and now I can't find anyone trustworthy."

Jennie elbowed Jisoo in the ribs, the dark haired girl frowned and returned the gesture, with a little more force, making the Korean gasp and stagger a few steps to the side.

"Have you given up looking yet?"

"Oh, not yet... Do you know someone you trust who can stay with my daughter in the afternoon until she gets home from work?"

"Oh, I do know someone." Jisoo wiggled her eyebrows, patting Jennie's arm.

"Oh great!" Dona Anne slapped her palms together, smiling. "Do you want, Jennie?"

"Shit" Jennie whispered, covering her face with one hand.

"Oh yes she wants!" Jisoo exclaimed, "Jennie is in need of money, Mrs. Anne."