babysitting pt1

word count: 1138

a/n: you and tom are both 17 (so paddy is 7-8). tom is not famous in this.

your pov

"Shhhh, shhh," you coo as the wails from the baby in your arms turn to small whimpers and then, eventually, stop. You rock her for a few minutes longer until her breathing slows and her eyes reluctantly droop shut. You brush your thumb over Hadley's rosy cheeks, drying them of her tears.

You've babysat for the Maxwells a few times, and they're trusting you more and more. This time, they'd even asked you to pick up some groceries for them, since the store will be closed by the time they return home. You lay Hadley in her car seat and strap her in, then grab your phone, your keys, the grocery list, the $30 they left for the cost, the baby wrap, and her car seat and carry her out to your car.

After you park, you get out and unbuckle the baby. You spread out her baby wrap on an empty seat, and then pick up the 5 month old, setting her down gingerly so as not to wake her up. You lift her back to your chest and sit down, resting her on your lap as you tie the soft ribbons behind you in an X shape to support her weight. You shut the door and lock your car, heading into the store.

Tom's POV

"Tom pleeeeeeease?? They're only £10!" Paddy says. "I can pay for almost half of it!"

"Paddy, for the last time, we are not getting gummy worms right before bed. Mom said we need eggs for breakfast. That's it," I say, trying hard not to buckle. He suddenly rushes forward and hugs me, batting his long lashes at me.

"You're the best brother in the world, though," he says, lower lip sticking out to complete the effect. I sigh.

"Fine, but if you tell Mom, you're a dead man." He cheers triumphantly, grabbing the gummy worms and runs toward the eggs. I sigh once again and jog after him.

"What brand do we want to pick?" Paddy asks. I look at them for a second.

"Uhhh..." I trail off when I look to my right and see Y/N L/N looking at milk on the other end of the aisle. She has a baby strapped to her chest and a basket with random groceries in it. We were chemistry partners in sophomore year, and I thought she was super cute then. We became friends and flirted quite a bit, but neither of us ever made an official move, and once junior year started, we talked less and less until we didn't really talk at all. We didn't have any classes together and we were both busy. I had missed her, though. She had a beautiful smile, and her giggle was enough to make anyone fall for her in seconds. She was sweet, but clever and playful too.

"Tom? Tom! What are you looking... oh." Paddy stops as his eyes rest on Y/N. "Tom. She's really hot." I turn red as I snap back towards the eggs and point to the cheapest brand.

"These will work," I say, ignoring his comment and grabbing the dozen as my cheeks burn.

"Tom. You should totally talk to her," Paddy says, studying Y/N. "Wait a second. She's been over before. Isn't that the chemistry partner?" he asks in a whisper, so she doesn't hear. I nod, annoyed that he remembered her. "You should totally talk to her. She's even cuter now than she was then."

"Paddy. You aren't my wingman. She probably has a boyfriend already. Plus, it looks like she's babysitting. I am so not bothering her right now. We're in a freaking grocery store for God's sake."

He raises his eyebrows, unimpressed. "You're talking to her or I am. Take your pick," he says, his arms crossing over his small body. I roll my eyes and sigh.

"Fine. Whatever." I head towards her.

your pov

"Hey, L/N, long time no see," says a familiar voice from behind you. You turn around and see your adorable chemistry partner, Tom. His brown eyes light up as a smile crosses his face. a smaller, more curly-haired version of him is walking and looking around a few feet behind. Tom runs a hand through his hair. Gosh, he's cute, you think to yourself. You adjust Hadley.

"Hey, Holland! It's nice to see you outside of a classroom," you laugh awkwardly. Shit. Did I actually just say that?  Thankfully, he laughs too, genuinely.

"Are you babysitting?" he asks.

"Yeah. You?"

"No, this one's actually mine," he replies. Your eyes go wide for a second before you realize he's joking. He laughs at you and your face goes pink. You can't help but laugh, too. 

As if on cue, Hadley starts to cry. You instantly go into babysitter mode, untying the straps from your back and holding her so her face is over your shoulder, allowing for her to look around and be distracted. Tom walks over and starts cooing at her and making faces, and she stops crying. He sticks his tongue out and she laughs, waving her hands happily. 

"Wow, you're not so bad with babies, Holland," you say, surprised.

"You sound so shocked," Tom scoffs, putting a hand over his heart in mock hurt. 

"Sorry, you just don't really seem like the baby-whisperer type," you reply. He shrugs.

"I guess I have a gift," he says. You roll your eyes. He crosses his strong arms. "I just stopped her crying. You should be thanking me," he says.

"Thank you, Tom," you say robotically. Suddenly, Hadley starts to whimper again, and Tom is instantly back at her side, blowing raspberries and poking her small nose. She giggles and bats at his hand, gripping onto his index finger with her tiny fist.

"What are you doing tonight?" Tom asks, making eye contact with you while still playing with the baby.

"What do you think, Holland?" you say, gesturing at Hadley. He laughs.

"Do you want some help? I can drop Paddy off and head over if you text me the address. It could be fun," he added, wiggling his eyebrows. You raise one of yours.

"Don't you have something else you would rather do?" you ask, unconvinced that he's serious.

"How could I miss out on an opportunity to hang out with such a cutie? And the baby, of course," he says, sending a flurry of butterflies through your stomach as the meaning of the joke sets in. You fight your blush and nod at him.

"Okay, Holland. I'll text you the address."

"See you at 8," he says, and winks before walking off to find Paddy, who's headed in the direction of the candy aisle. You can no longer contain your grin as heat rushes to your cheeks, a small squeal escaping you once he's out of earshot.

a/n: part two??? pls comment your requests and take a second to vote :)