CHAPTER ONE: Mercy

Never before had I seen anything quite like it. 

Throughout my years, I had seen many a joust and many a spar, but something was vastly different about the battle raging in the ring before me. 

This was supposed to be sport. A game. Nothing more and nothing less, for the entertainment of the people. A brutal pass time, if I were to describe it, but my father took great joy in watching tourneys of death. 

This man, silver from head to toe, was the most fearsome monster I had ever laid eyes upon. The only natural part of him seemed to be the golden mane flowing from the backside of his helm, like a river of riches. 

What was it now? His ninth opponent? Tenth? All who had faced him had yielded, and I couldn't blame a single one of them. The mysterious fighter had allowed for them to step from the dusty ring with their lives, but that didn't mean his fighting style was merciful. 

He struck, and struck hard. Drying blood clotted the dirt at their feet, smearing and scattering amidst dancing boots and sparking swords. Well, in his case, scythes. 

It was an odd choice of weapon for a man in armour. Twin scythes, like singular talons attached to a grip in his hands. They were almost graceful, if not so spine-chillingly violent. 

"Scared, Your Grace?" My father's hand leant in towards my ear, his voice not even attempting to hide his amusement. 
"Hardly." I scoffed, unable to take my eyes off the men down below, one yet again pinned in defeat and given the time to yield and flee. "Honestly, Ser Lucci, I've been bearing witness to such things since I could sit upright. Just because I dislike them doesn't mean I'm scared." 

Ser Rob Lucci, royal advisor and hand of the King. A decade my senior, he'd just always been around. My handmaidens and I often called him the King's Cat. He had a sort of feline elegance about him, but unlike many, I knew for a fact he had the claws to match. 

"My apologies, Your Grace, though I wouldn't blame you if it were the case. That warrior down there seems hardly human." Lucci continued, leaning back into his seat as he watched on. "It should somewhat please you that I did suggest something a little more tasteful for your name day, but alas, you know your dear father. This is his idea of a celebration." 

I knew it all too well, but I had to appreciate his attempt. All I had really wanted for my eighteenth name day was to spend the morning in the garden, watching the birds and the beetles. Not watching men bleed from deep gashes. 

"May I humbly present our reigning champion, Captain of the Marineford Royal Guard, Ser Borsalino!" Hearing the announcement of that name had me rolling my eyes. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't understand how somebody so painfully slow of wit could be head of the Royal Guard. 

The cheers were deafening, and I reached to cover my ears as that lazy-faced good for nothing strutted to stand in front of our platform, bowing to my father. 
"My good King, Royal Highness Sakazuki. It's an honour to fight for your pleasure this fine morning." 

Ugh, kiss-ass... 

My father, King Sakazuki, ruler of the Grand Realms and slayer of filth. He had earned the title 'The Red Dog of Justice' prior to taking the throne, after years of warring throughout the realm. It had been he who had seized the throne out from under the previous ruler, King Edward Newgate. 

"Ser Borsalino." My father nodded once, chin resting upon his hand. "Do you think you have what it takes to show this gentry, or whatever he is, what for?" For once he seemed entertained. Well, not quite entertained. Less bored, at least. 

A smirk spread across Borsalino's lips before he lowered his faceplate. 
"It would be my honour, Your Grace..." I was honestly rather worried about the newcomer. He was a good fighter, that was true, but Borsalino, the 'Speed of Light' knight, was one of the greatest in the realm, and he wasn't big on mercy.