CHAPTER EIGHT: Envy

***(Y/N) POV***

Awkward silence.

That was what had become of a table full of royals and Lords, eating without word. It was a poor decision, on my father's account, forcing what could only be viewed as opponents together in one room.

I was positive that nobody wished to be there, myself included, but I had no choice in the matter. If I had so wished, I could have started some form of conversation, but instead I found myself prodding at my eggs, stealing glances at my royal guard across the room.

It had been two days since, but I could not shake what I had felt when Killer had so kindly brushed out my hair. His hands were gentle and soft, so unlike his physical form. It was a leap and bound of progress, and if I had been able to have it my way, I would be off talking to him instead of suffering in silence.

"Your Grace," I almost startled when the quiet was broken by Lord Perospero, who sat adjacent from me. "are you excited for the upcoming Tourney, perorin?"

Tourney?

Raising a brow, I abandoned my bleeding yolks and gave him my attention.
"Tourney? My Lord, I was unaware there was one organised..?" The pointed man lapped his tongue across his lips and smiled, a sight that made me internally shudder.

"Why, of course, perorin. There would be no finer way to lead up to the announcement of who has won your heart and hand, Your Grace. His Royal Highness has everything arranged, and I am sure I speak for all here when I say we are eager to prove ourselves in the jousting competition."

Of course. He would find any excuse for unnecessary violence...

Turning to my father, who seemed completely disinterested, as usual, I tried to keep my annoyance hidden.
"Father, must we hold another Tourney so soon after the last? I appreciate the thought, but-"

"If you are to marry one of these Lords, then you must be sure of their abilities as men." The King cut me off, and I couldn't help but notice he shot a less than kindly look towards poor Koby, who shrank down in his seat. "It has all been arranged, four days from now. Not another word against it."

If we had been alone, then I would have argued, but if I were to kick up a fuss in front of so many important people my father would have had me punished thoroughly. I was in no mood for that.

"Hold trust in His Majesty, my dear. Hina fell madly in love upon seeing him knock his opponents down on the jousting strip. You may just find yourself falling all the same." Queen Hina offered her pointless advice, and I just nodded.

It would not happen, that much I was sure of. I had already, in a way, fallen for someone during a Tourney, at least into a pool of curiosity.
"There shall be more than just jousting and combat, Your Grace." Marco piped up, voice just the slightest bit hesitant whilst addressing me. "Music, entertainment, exotic foods. You are bound to enjoy yourself-yoi."

Sighing, I just shrugged and returned to my slaughtered eggs, resting my chin in my palm.
"If you so say, My Lord..." I muttered, still unable to look him in the eye.

The clanging of metal caught my ear, and through the doors marched Ser Kizaru, back straight yet looking far less cocky than usual.
"Your Majesty, we have received some slightly...concerning news, regarding Lord Portgas...Lord Donquixote along with most of the Royal Grand Council have already begun to gather for discussion."

Oh, Lord Donquixote is not here? That explains why I lack a feeling of imminent dread...

My father's jaw locked tight as he listened to Ser Kizaru before he stood abruptly.
"Hina, go meet with the Tourney organisers in my stead. Lord Marco, you are to join in the discussion. Now." He barked his orders, and both his wife and Marco hurried to do as told, leaving the room prior to him with at least a little more grace than he.