CHAPTER ELEVEN: Without Care

"This is a terrible idea."

Killer sat stiffly beside me at the tavern counter, continually scanning the premises like a watchdog. Marco, on the other hand, was completely relaxed on my other side, chin resting in his hand, the other holding a pint of beer.

"Don't worry, Solider. I wouldn't put our fair Princess at risk-yoi." He assured him, and I nodded excitedly, taking a sip of my own alcoholic beverage. It was incredibly bitter compared to the sweet wines I had access to at the castle, but it was a new experience I was more than happy to embrace.

"Please allow me to have just this one taste of freedom, Killer?" I gave him my best puppy dog eyes and watched him deflate, unable to refuse me.
"You know I can't go against your wishes, Your Grace...but you need to get back soon. It's dangerous."

He genuinely cares for my well-being.

The tavern was alive with rambunctious chatter and roaring laughter, the patrons without care or restraint. I had never seen such a sight before, and I quite liked it.
"At the very least, these citizens seem to be enjoying themselves." I mused, adjusting my hood so my identity could remain hidden.

"That would be the alcohol, Your Grace." Marco chuckled in response, tapping his hand upon the countertop after finishing his beer. "It's one of the few freedoms the people have, but it's often abused as an escape-yoi. Still, it is nice seeing them so happy for a change."

I nodded in agreement, mimicking his tap on the table once I saw that the barkeep had delivered my companion another beverage.
"Your Grace, my guess is that you're not used to drinking, so maybe you should slow down?" Killer warned me rather sternly and I snorted, bumping my shoulder to his, which took him a little off guard.

"I shall have you know that I can hold my liquor as well as any other. You needn't concern yourself." I chuckled, thanking the barkeep when he slid me another foamy tankard.

"It's my duty to concern myse-"
"Then I officially dismiss you of your duties for this evening." I cut him off smugly, hearing Marco snicker beside me. "Spend a time with me as nothing more than a friend until we return to the keep, would you?"

Killer shifted uncomfortably in his seat for a spell, but eventually he relented, releasing a long sigh.
"As you wish...but I won't be drinking." His acceptance made me smile widely, and I rose my tankard up by my face.

"Suit yourself! I shall partake in your stead!"

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

***KILLER POV***

"So, so why marriage? I mean, I suppose I get that it could assist in keeping me safe when this Portgas fellow shows up, but, uh, could you not have just whisked me away like tonight?"

The Princess was having a little difficulty with her speech, and from the tint of her nose it was obvious she was tipsy, if not completely drunk. The slight sway from side to side as she attempted to sit still was also telling. 

"Sadly, it was the only solid plan to be able to take you away from the kingdom without your father sending an army after us-yoi." Marco responded, mid sip when she gasped, hand moving to her chest.

"Sadly?! Do you not find me suitable marriage material, Marco?!" She was offended, that was for sure, despite her initial reaction to his announcement as one of her suitors. Marco faltered, raising a brow at her reaction.
"Th..That's not at all what I meant, Your Grace..?"

In a huff, she turned in her stool and caught my arm, taking me by surprise as she pulled me further down to her level.
"Do you see me as a suitable bride, Killer? Would you marry me?"