CHAPTER TWO: Oath

"Are you sure you made the right choice? I mean, he sounds terrifying. Not to mention ugly."

I cocked a brow towards my handmaiden's reflection, keeping still as she brushed my hair out and over my shoulders.
"Perona, I said he would not remove his helm. How on earth would either of us know what he looks like?"

Shrugging, Perona continued doing her job, her own pink tresses sitting full to the sides of her head in pigtails I always admired.
"Why else would he refuse to take it off? Besides, what kind of a name is Massacre Soldier, anyway? Sounds like the kind of man who would kill you in your sleep, if you ask me."

Whipping my head around, I have her a glare that wasn't all too serious, but still let her know that I didn't want her to mention such things.
"Good thing I did not ask you, then, right?"

I had been close to my dear handmaiden for as long as I could remember. Our own mothers had been good friends as Queen and servant, and it was no different between the two of us. She spoke to me as an equal, and I cherished it. A rarity in my life.

"Spirits sound interesting and all, but don't you come haunting me when it turns out I'm right." She scoffed, discarding the brush and running her fingers through my (H/C) hair to fluff it out further. "Has your father punished you yet? Can't imagine he'd be too happy about you making a fool out of him."

Ugh, don't remind me...

"I have been banned from reading for the next two moons. He took every one of my books, spouting something about it being no pass time for a woman..." I muttered, slouching in my chair. It was honestly worse than being struck. I could always hide a bruise or two with make-up. I couldn't replace my favourite hobby.

"Oh, ew." Perona made a face, a hand on her hip. "If you ask me, being king is no pass time for him..." I couldn't help but giggle at her words, even though I knew full well that if she had been heard saying them in any other situation her head would have been skewered on a pike at the city gates.

"Uh, Your Grace..?" When a soft voice called from the other side of the door Perona squeaked, scurrying to stand at my side.
"You may enter, Rebecca." I replied, nudging my friend in the ribs to let her know her reaction had amused me.

In came Rebecca, one of the many other young ladies who served the royals and their guests. She hadn't been working in the castle long, having been offered as a gift merely four moons ago by Lord Donquixote, of the Northern keep of Dressrosa.

She bowed her head low, her cream of strawberry hair tied tightly back into a ponytail.
"Your Grace, may I present Lord Marco, of the house Phoenix, to escort you to the throne room."

Out from behind her stepped a strapping gentleman, gold and blue embellishing his clothing beautifully. I smiled upon seeing his familiar face, standing to curtsy.
"Lord Marco, I am glad to see you have returned from your travels, safe and well."

He reciprocated by bowing low, taking my hand to press a chaste kiss to my fingers.
"Forgive me, Your Grace. I wish to compliment your beauty, but alas, I am afraid not a word, old or new, exists to truly do you justice-yoi."

Always the charmer.

Fondly rolling my eyes, I waited until he had straightened up again before I lightly batted his chest.
"As you well know, flattery gets you everywhere. I missed you. I do hope you have the time to accompany me on the odd occasion? As much as I care for Lucci, he's nowhere near as fun."

Marco grinned as he offered me his arm, guiding me towards the door once I had accepted.
"As always, I remain busy, but not busy enough to deny you my time and attention, Your Grace."