five | under the stars

✿

"MISS SINCLAIR!"

Closing her eyes, Josie briefly paused in her step, preparing herself to face Antony Bridgerton. That morning, she had planned to go for a stroll away from everyone so she could think about what to do.

And now Antony was here.

So, Josie turned with a welcoming smile on her face. "Josie, Antony."

"Josie," Antony agreed, eyes falling to the balcony of the household as she turned to briefly see Violet and Edward together, supervising them. "Forgive me, Josie. Perhaps I could join you for your morning stroll?"

Josie tried to suppress her sigh, but she could feel the pressure of Edward's stare. "Very well," said Josie, accepting Antony's arm. "I suppose the country is tedious alone."

"Not a fan of the countryside?" Anthony questioned as they started to walk.

"There's not much to do," Josie confessed. "Not now, at least. Ever since that night, I can't seem to find the same joy as I once had in the country. It is a shame as I did adore the Sinclair manor."

More than anything, Josie hated talking about the night her parents died. The whole time was nothing but darkness to Josie that she would rather ignore and she knew her siblings felt the same too.

"I do know what you mean," Antony admitted.

Josie smiled sadly, knowing Antony must be thinking of his father. Even though Josie had been young, she had remembered that the family had become closer, supporting the Bridgerton's as much as they could with the abrupt loss. Knowing how Antony had felt, Edward had not hesitated to support the young man, helping guide him through his new duty of being the viscount, but also with facing grief too.

"I have always looked up to Edward as a brother," said Antony, thinking about the dark period of time. "He has helped me in more ways than I dare to confess, Josie, so I owe him more than just my gratitude."

Josie's eyes remained on the grounds of the house as they walked around the large home. Of course, Josie had known their stroll would result in the difficult conversation that Josie had hoped to avoid for as long as possible — at least until she had a plan.

"Perhaps a gift basket might do the trick," Josie suggested.

Antony's lips twitched in amusement. "I do believe you're the first — hold on, the second if you can believe it — lady, who sees a marriage with me as a burden. Do you despise me that much, Josie?"

Now, Josie turned to look at him. "Antony, I do like you," she confessed. "But...accepting your hand would depend on what you expect from me."

"You will be the Viscountess," Antony told her. "That, I have no doubt you can't do as the Sinclair's are already a respectable family within the ton. But, we must also have children as is expected."