six | dangerous waters

✿

WITH THE UPCOMING HEARTS and flowers ball, the Bridgerton's country house was alive. Josie had helped where she could, but she had mostly watched the chaos from a distance.

As a child, Josie's mother had adored the mayhem before hosting a ball, having told her daughter that she enjoyed the planning and arranging much more than the balls themselves. Now, watching, Josie wished to see her mom capturing the spotlight like she once had.

Josie had her own mission: while she was avoiding Edward, Josie was trying to figure out a plan to save her from the entrapment of marriage.

"Our brother is starting to think that you're avoiding him," said Freddie, linking his arm with Josie's as he escorted his twin sister outside for the day. "Edward is yet to see you today, Josie."

"I will find him when I have a solution," Josie confessed to her twin, holding onto his arm. "Or, perhaps Antony will finally ask for the diamond's hand."

Speaking about that, Josie's eyes fell on Lord Bridgerton, who was sitting with Edwina as the two sipped tea together. Everyone could see how forced the courting was and that Antony clearly had no joy to be sipping tea. Though, poor Edwina was adoring it.

But, all Josie needed was a way out, and she couldn't count on Antony proposing to Edwina.

"Oh, dear," Freddie noticed, keeping his eyes on Josie. "You're scheming. You know this won't end well."

"Is Josie scheming again?" Eloise asked, joining the two with Colin keeping his sister company. "I do hope it's regarding our escape plan."

Seeing Colin in a light blue suit caused Josie to avoid his gaze, not liking that they had accidentally matched in shades. The more she saw Colin, the harder it was to ignore him.

Josie was still smiling at Eloise's words, though. "Say the word, Eloise, and I am ready to run."

"Then let's go," Eloise suggested. "It is about time that us women had a say in what we choose to do or where to go."

"I could not agree more," Josie agreed.

"Are you still reading that women's rights pamphlet, Eloise?" Freddie questioned.

"Yes," answered Colin. "She is."

"I must borrow it," Josie decided.

"I shall fetch it for you this afternoon," said Eloise. "That can be our escape."

Josie liked the sound of that, but then their fiery-haired friend in a pale green dress arrived with a sweet smile on her face. Seeing Penelope, Eloise instantly perked up.

"Oh, Pen!" Eloise greeted her friend, holding her hands affectionately. "Oh, you are finally here! With only my own family to speak to, I've begun talking to trees."