Chapter 5

"You two have any plans for your weekend?" Hen asked as she sat down at the table for dinner.

"I'm taking Buck for the day tomorrow. Christopher is having a sleep over tonight and won't be back until tomorrow evening." Eddie said.

"You are the only parent I know who doesn't enjoy being child free." Hen laughed, "And you decided to take Buck, of all people, when you have a break. No offense, Buck."

"I am not that bad." Buck said.

"Baby, you fell out of a tree trying to climb it last time we hung out, and you weren't even regressed then." Hen said.

"That was not my fault. The branch broke." Buck said.

The next day Buck woke up in headspace. He was too excited. He didn't even bother changing out of his pajamas. What was taking Eddie so long? It was almost five minutes past seven. Eddie said he would be there at seven. Then there was a knock at the door.

Buck eagerly opened the door for Eddie and squealed, "Eds!"

"Hey, Buck." Eddie reached up to tussle his hair.

Buck pulled Eddie inside and drug him over to the couch. As soon as Eddie sat down Buck cuddled up to his side.

"What are we watching?" Eddie asked.

"Paw Patrol!" Buck grinned, "That's Marshall. He's a fire fighter!"

"I see. How about we go to the toy store today? Pick out some new toys?" Eddie offered, "It'll give us something to do other than sitting in front of this TV."

"Yeah!" Buck nodded.

"Go get ready then." Eddie said and Buck bolted off up the stairs.

Buck ran down the stairs in a soft hoodie and some loose jeans. He jumped off the third to last and ran to the door.

"You're forgetting something." Eddie said, laughing at Buck's excitement.

"Need my shoes!" Buck ran back up the stairs to grab his sneakers.

Buck sat down at the bottom of the stairs and pulled on his sneakers. He tried to tie them himself, insisting that he could do it because he was a big boy and Maddie taught him how to tie his shoes all by himself.

Eddie held Buck's hand as they walked to the toy store. Buck insisted on walking. Eddie didn't mind, that just meant Buck would actually be tired enough to actually take a nap.

"Alright, let's go pick something out." Eddie said.

Buck grinned and pulled Eddie into the store. He stopped when I bright display caught his eye. He drug Eddie over to show him.

"Did you know play dough was made to clean wallpaper?" Buck looked at the display in awe.

It was so colorful! Buck liked colors.

"I didn't. Did you want some play dough?" Eddie asked.

"No, just like the colors. Chim'ey says he knows how to make some anyway." Buck said, "He's gonna help me make some."

"Do you want to look at the cars?" Eddie asked.

"Yeah!" Buck nodded and pulled Eddie toward the car isle.

"Look! Looks like Mama's police car." Buck said, holding up a remote control police car.

"Yeah, it does, doesn't it." Eddie said.

He watched Buck pick up cars and trucks off the shelves. He tended to go to the big colorful ones and, unfortunately for everyone in the store, the ones with buttons and make noises.

"Firetrucks!" Buck dropped the race car he was holding and ran over to look at the model truck.

Eddie laughed and picked up the toy. He let Buck explore the cars, listened to various sirens and engine sounds as Buck pressed every button he could find.

"Eddie!" Buck suddenly spoke up.

"Yeah, Buck?" Eddie asked, "Did you want something from this isle?"

"Firetruck." Buck said, holding up one of the firetrucks he had been playing with.

"Ooh, the firetruck. Okay. Let's get the firetruck." Eddie said, he took Buck's free hand.

Buck smiled, "It looks like our ladder truck!"

"It does. I'm sure Maddie is going to love it." Eddie tussled, Buck's hair.

"We gonna see Maddie?" Buck asked.

"Maddie is going to come over after I leave, remember?" Eddie asked.

"Oh yeah. Gonna show her my firetruck. Then I'm gonna show Mama, and Dada, and Hen, and Chim'ey." Buck said.

"And then you'll probably forget who got it for you and show me again." Eddie teased and Buck laughed at that, "Do you want to keep looking or do you want to go home and play with your firetruck?"

"Okay with firetruck." Buck answered.

Buck was clearly excited, barely keeping himself contained really, as Eddie paid for the toy. Buck insisted on holding it on the walk back. Then he insisted on opening it. Eddie did have to help with that part.

Buck sat on the floor and pushed around his firetruck for nearly an hour. Eddie wasn't sure he could hear another second of that toy siren. Then it stopped and Buck whined. His lip trembled and Eddie just hopped he wouldn't start to cry.

"Eds! My firetruck! Needs new batteries!" Buck ran over to Eddie with the toy in hand.

"Yeah, those store ones don't last very long, do they?" Eddie said as he set the truck on the counter top.

Eddie honestly wished Buck just hadn't asked for new batteries. But it was almost time for Buck's nap and Maddie would be over before he woke up so it wouldn't be his problem for long.

Eddie changed the batteries and handed the toy back to a once again smiling, giggling Buck. He sat down on the floor and pushed his firetruck around until he started yawning and rubbing his eyes.

"You getting sleepy, Buck?" Eddie ruffled Buck's hair.

"No." Buck yawned.

"Oh, that's too bad, because I'm sleepy and I really wanted my Buck to take a nap with me." Eddie said.

Buck jumped up and took his hand, "Will take a nap with you my Eddie! Can do it!"

"Thanks, Buck." Eddie smiled, "Let's go lay down and read a story."

Eddie barely made it two words in before Buck was falling asleep, hugging one of his stuffed animals. Eddie waited until Buck was really asleep before moving Buck off of his body then tucking him in properly.

Eddie went back down to the main floor a put Buck's firetruck with the rest of Buck's toys. Then he got himself settled on the couch and played a movie until Maddie arrived. But he really wouldn't mind sticking around a little bit longer.