Army of Ghosts

And here we go with the start of the two-part finale of this book. :( The Alchemist is onto something right off the bat, and she is very good at bluffing her way through situations. But what happens when she's reunited with her former companion and her worst enemies?

Ladies and gentlemen, "Army of Ghosts."

***

"Planet Earth. This is where I was born. And this is where I died. For the first nineteen years of my life, nothing happened. Nothing at all. Not ever. And then I met a man called the Doctor, and during our travels, I met a woman who hated the Doctor the moment she met him. A man and a woman who could change their faces, who hated each other the moment they met, and the moment they changed, so did everything they felt. They took me away from home in their magical machine. They showed me the whole of time and space, and I thought it would never end. That's what I thought. But then came the army of ghosts. Then came Torchwood, and the war. And that's when it all ended. This is the story of how I died."

***

"Mum!" Rose called as they entered the Tyler flat, Rose with a rucksack on her back. "It's us! We're back!"

"Oh, I don't know why you bother with that phone!" Jackie called as she came up to the trio. "You never use it!"

"Shut up!" Rose laughed. "Come here!"

"Oh, I love you!" Jackie sighed, hugging her.

"I love you!"

"I love you so much!"

"Aww," the Alchemist teased with a snicker before giving Jackie a hug as well. "How've you been, Jackie?"

"Just fine, sweetheart," Jackie answered, then scowled at the Doctor as he tried to sneak past. "Oh, you lovely big fella!" she shouted, hugging him, then peppered him with kisses. "Oh, you're all mine!"

"Just - " the Doctor sputtered, trying to get her away as the Alchemist and Rose laughed at his discomfort. "Just - just put me down!"

"Yes, you are!"

Rose decided to save the Doctor from further mortification. "I've got loads of washing for you," she said, swinging her rucksack off of her back. "And I've got this." She pulled out a metal knickknack. "It's from the market on this asteroid bazaar. It's made of . . . er . . . "

"Bazoolium," the Alchemist told her.

"Bazoolium," Rose nodded. "When it gets cold, yeah? It means it's going to rain. When it's hot, it's going to be sunny. You can use it to tell the weather."

"I've got a surprise for you and all," Jackie smiled.

Rose scowled at the Alchemist. "Oh, I get her bazoolium, she doesn't even say thanks," she grumbled.

The Alchemist just patted her shoulder as Jackie continued. "Guess who's coming to visit? You're just in time! He'll be here at ten past. Who do you think it is?"

"I don't know."

"Oh, go on! Guess!"

"No!" Rose huffed. "I hate guessing! Just tell me!"

"It's your granddad! Granddad Prentice!" The Alchemist frowned at Rose when her eyes widened and her jaw sagged. "He's on his way any minute. Right. Cup of tea!"

"Rose?" the Alchemist asked worriedly as Rose stared at Jackie as she entered the kitchen. "What's up?"

"She's gone mad," Rose managed to say.