invernadero harbor

"Is this-" Naoko couldn't finish the sentence, only able to turn over at Keyla and blink.

Keyla didn't seem to mind (she never seemed to mind), and just tilted her head at Naoko and beamed.

"Yup! It's a real-live greenhouse!"

And so it was, with green-tinged, opaque panes of square glass, with off-white bars. Soft shoots and wide leaves peeked out from cracks in the windows. It was small, tucked onto the flat roof of a much larger building, but it was there. It was there and upright and only slightly worse for wear.

Naoko gingerly tugged the door open. Her breath once again escaped her lips as she took a closer look at the plants.

"They're-"

Her voice cut off again. Naoko felt her eyes water as she toed the strange line between humility and overwhelming happiness.

Keyla smiled again, softer this time.

"I know."

Because around them was food, fresh food, for the first time in who knew how long.

---

Naoko couldn't tell you how long they spent in the greenhouse, tending to the plants, running their hands over the green shoots and leaves, occasionally sharing giddy smiles for no real reason at all.

But Naoko could tell you that her heart almost split when she first noticed the sunset-orange glow refracting through the panes of glass.

"We've been here too long!" She blurted out immediately. "We have to go!"

Keyla frowned at her.

"Why?"

Naoko spun on her heels, eyes wide at the question. Her blood pulsed through her ears and the nervousness helped her speak with only the slightest hesitation.

"We'll miss the train!"

"So?"

Naoko blinked, but Keyla just frowned back at her.

"We can catch the train tomorrow. Or I can take you back to the station," Keyla offered, setting down the warped plastic watering can. "We don't have to head back just yet."

But Naoko was already shaking her head vehemently. No, no, Keyla didn't understand. They needed to get back, they needed to be there on time. Naoko could feel her breathing speed up, heart pounding.

"Yes," she managed, her voice sounding a lot more calm than she really felt. "Yes, we do. We need to get back. I don't want to be late."

To her credit, Keyla had started moving towards the door, albeit slowly and with her hands in her pockets. Naoko was glad - she would've been unbelievably more annoyed had she stayed still and not looked like she was simply asking for curiosity's sake.

"Late for what?" The other girl asked.

"Late for..." Naoko faltered.

What was she late for? All she knew was that she had to be there, she had to go, she couldn't miss it, she was going to be late. But why, though? What was she going to be late for? What, exactly, was making her body tremble and her heart race and her palms sweat? What could possibly be so important?

I don't know, thought Naoko. I don't know what.