𝙛𝙤𝙪𝙧 | 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙙𝙨

THE TUBES OF BLUE SERUM RAN DRY, moving quickly to their new host. 

"Now Mr Stark." The sides of the table closed in as it shifted to stand vertically, effectively hiding Steve within. Erskine rapped lightly on the surface. "Steven? Can you hear me?"

"It's probably too late to go to the bathroom, right?"

He chuckled, nodding to Stark. "We will proceed. Doctor Johnson?"

As Stark began turning up the power levels, Kallie put her focus on the lever. As she watched, green ripples of energy began to loop around her fingers. She willed it to travel along, snaking down the lever and beneath the circuit board until she could sense it joining with her target. Heal. She thought forcefully, willing the energy to obey. Heal, heal, heal.

"That's 10%." Heal. "20." Heal. "30." Heal. "That's 40%."

Erskine looked to Kallie, who risked a glance up to nod. Her irises had begun to glow with the same pulsing green as her hand. 

"That's 50%." The glow from within the containment only grew in brightness, becoming almost blinding. "60, 70-" The pace of Kallie's heart doubled when she heard him scream from within. She squeezed her eyes shut. Heal, heal, HEAL. She could hear Erskine shouting and Peggy shouting and doctors scrambling around in fright, but when they proceeded, so did she. The boards all sparked when the power reached its limit... and then it was done. 

The window had been charred black, obscuring the sight within, but when Erskine ordered Stark to open it, they could see Steve was just fine, little green sparks drifting to the floor from inside. Actually, he was much more than fine; he had nearly tripled in height, and god forbid anyone say something bad about his physique. Hodge will be eating his words. Kallie thought proudly. 

She hurried over along with the other doctors. "How do you feel?"

"Taller." He huffed. 

She grinned. His voice finally sounded like it fit him, and the thought made her want to giggle. "Well, you certainly look it." She took a shirt from one of the doctors, passing it to him. There was only a moment to celebrate before Kallie's mind stung with a spark of intuition. "GET DOWN!" She screamed. She grabbed Steve, shocking him with her strength as she threw the both of them to the ground just as the booth above blew to hell. 

"Stop him!" She heard Erskine yell, and she realised there was a mole among them, one who had taken the last bottle of serum. Two shots rang out, and Peggy and Steve took off after the shooter. 

But Kallie sat there on the glass-strewn floor, frozen in shock. Finally, after a moment, she forced her body to move again, crawling to Erskine, two bullets planted in his chest. She gripped his hand desperately as he gasped for air. "Stay awake." She instructed, panicked. "Stay awake." She moved one palm towards his chest, ready to do whatever it took to save him before his hand pushed hers away. 

"No. No." He told her firmly. "You must... stay... secret."

"But I can save you!"

"Stay. Secret." It was the last thing he said to her. She felt his soul strip from his body and the life leave him. She felt the ripple it left as his thread in the universe came to an end. A single tear rand down her face before she took all of that sadness together. She imagined it solidifying, taking the form of a blue thread. And after a moment, the thread became a deep red colour, like the darkest apple. Or like blood. 

She snapped to her feet, stripping off her lab coat to reveal a white button-down and simple brown pants. Thank god she wasn't wearing heels. She took off sprinting through the exit, past the disgruntled soldiers and the dead old woman by the door. She sped past Peggy in the street, following the shape ahead of her. Steve. But when he took to sprinting through alleys to follow the cars, she grasped the bars of a fire escape, scaling the small apartment building at an impossible speed. She followed closely, hopping from rooftop to rooftop with ease. When her line of buildings came to an end over a wide street, she looked for a more creative way around. Finding none, she stepped off the building's edge, landing in a crouch without a scratch on her. She kept on running. Her hearing stretched wide across the city streets, and she picked up their trail once more. The sound of more gun shots rang out, and she slipped down an alley for a quicker path towards it. When she did catch up with them, the attacker was throwing a young boy into the river. "Go!" She shouted, not wasting a moment to jump down after him. While Steve took off once again, Kallie's hand gripped a bar hammered into the wall she'd jumped from, stopping her fall. Low enough to reach the boy, she grabbed his arm, pulling him up from the water. "Alright," She huffed. "I'm going to throw you back up there. Can you land on your feet?"

He nodded. "I think so."

"Good." With that, she heaved up, tossing him back to dry land before climbing the rest of the way herself. A woman came running, the boy's mother, and Kallie passed him off before heading off after the killer and the supersoldier. Again. When she found Steve, the man he stood over was dead, foam dripping from his mouth. Poison.

At the sound of her approaching footsteps, Steve turned to her, looking regretful. "I'm sorry."

Kallie only pursed her lips, forcing herself to nod. That thread of anger remained taught. 

A/N
So this chapter is short, but it certainly packs a punch, and we get a better look at what Kallie can really do. Hang tight, birdies! <3