𝙚𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩 | 𝙖𝙜𝙚𝙣𝙩 𝙖𝙘𝙚

"SENATOR GRANT, I REGRET TO REPORT THAT CAPTAIN STEVEN G. ROGERS went missing behind enemy lines on the third. Aerial reconnaissance has proven unfruitful. As a result, I must declare Captain Rogers, and companion Doctor Kallie Johnson, killed in action. Period." The Colonel sighed, listening to the tapping of the typewriter in front of him as the message was relayed onto paper. 

"The last surveillance flight is back." Peggy reported. "No sign of activity."

"Go get a cup of coffee, Corporal."

"Yes, sir." He took that as his exit, leaving Agent Carter and the Colonel to speak alone. 

He sighed. "I can't touch Stark. He's rich and he's the Army's number one weapons contractor. You are neither one."

"With respect, sir, I don't regret my actions, and if Doctor Johnson were here, she would tell you the same. As would Captain Rogers."

"What makes you think I give a damn about your opinions? I took a chance with you, Agent Carter. And now America's Golden Boy, our best scientist and a lot of other good men are dead. Cause you couldn't say no to your damn best friend."

"It wasn't that." She told him. "I had faith."

"Well, I hope that's a big comfort to you when they shut this division down." It was the sound of shouting men that caught their attention, half the camp all running in one direction. "What the hell is going on?"

And from straight out of the treeline, there they were. Cap at the front of it all, the Sergeant and Doctor Johnson at his sides and the rest of the 107th behind them. Alive. Amidst the cheers and the applause, that was all Kallie could think. We made it out alive. When they reached the Colonel, Steve was quick to stand at attention. Kallie didn't care much to extend that courtesy. "Some of these men need medical attention. I'd like to surrender myself for disciplinary action."

"No," Kallie snapped, stepping forward. "He wouldn't. Captain Rogers is a goddamn hero Philips. He saved every man you see here and saved their families the grief of losing them and he saved my life too so if you even think about-"

"That won't be necessary." He assured, cutting her off with a raised hand. She sighed, satisfied for now, at least.

"Yes sir." Steve turned to Kallie. "You should probably get that checked out." He nodded at the bloody tear in her shirt. She shook her head, silently lifting the shirt's edge to reveal smooth, unscarred skin. It baffled him to say the least. "How- What... there was a chunk of metal in your side..."

"I told you." She smiled. "I'm not like you. I'm not like anyone."

"Doctor." The Colonel called. "It seems you're quite adept on the battlefield. How would you like a promotion?"

"Sir?"

"From now on, if you accept, you'll be Rogers' field agent."

She stamped down her smile, giving a nod. "I'd be honoured."

"Alright then, Agent-"

"Ace!" One of the men from the cells cut him off. "I've never seen anyone handle a blade better! She's an ace in the hole! Agent Ace!" A few of the others took up the cry, and the Colonel gave an irritated, exhausted huff before retreating back to his tent. 

"Nice work there, Agent Ace." Bucky commented.

She grinned. "Not too bad yourself, Sergeant Barnes."

"Well then what do you say we bring it together for good ol' Cap? Hey!" He called out, grabbing the attention of the men. "Let's hear it for Captain America!" The cheers rose higher and higher, and Kallie couldn't have been prouder. 

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

time that we lost
track of...

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

BENEATH THE GROUND, in their secret little installment, Kallie lost track of how much time they spent poring over maps, checking every location, including the marks they'd found on a map belonging to Schmidt's scientist. 

"These are the weapon factories we know about." Steve pointed out on a new map. "Sergeant Barnes said that Hydra shipped all the parts to another facility that isn't on this map."

"Agent Carter, coordinate with MI6." The Colonel ordered. "I want every Allied eyeball looking for that main Hydra base."

"What about us?" She wondered. 

"We are gonna set a fire under Johann Schmidt's ass. What do you say, Rogers? Johnson? It's your map. You think you can wipe Hydra off of it?"

"Yes sir." He locked eyes with Kallie, who nodded in confirmation. "We'll need a team."

"We're already putting together the best men."

"With all due respect, sir, so am I."

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

later that same
day, if you can
believe it...

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

KALLIE WAS ABLE TO SLIP THROUGH THE BAR PRACTICALLY UNNOTICED, not wanting to draw too many eyes too soon. She caught the tail end of the conversation belonging to the two men sitting at the bar before her. "But you're keeping the outfit, right?"

"Of course he is." She smiled, slipping into the seat beside Steve. "We all need to look that part, do we not?"

Steve blinked, trying very hard to find his words as he stared at the girl next to him. "I- ah... yeah, you look... you definitely look the part." Her dress was a deep, silky green, with loose short sleeves and a neckline that went a little deeper than her usual style, belted at the waist with black. The colour made him realise just how green her eyes were as opposed to his own blue ones. 

Kallie chuckled. "Despite all the terrifying adventures, Steve Rogers, you still have no idea how to talk to women."

"I... guess I don't." He smiled. "Besides, I'm talking to an Agent aren't I?"

Her eyebrows rose at that, a mischievous little gleam in her eye. "Well, then, Captain, if it's all right to business, Howard has some equipment for you to try tomorrow." She rose, taking a drink with her. 

"No-" Steve hurried to catch himself. "I didn't mean it like- What I mean is-"

"Sergeant Barnes." She gave Bucky an amused nod of acknowledgement before stepping out into the party. 

"Dammit." He sighed.

Bucky laughed, giving his friend a pat on the back. "Man, you picked a good one."

"Yeah... I'm not sure she likes me very much."

He stared at him like he was crazy. "Steve, that girl is incredibly into you. But she's not boring. She wants you to chase her."

Steve blinked. "Right now?"

"No." Bucky winced. "God, you have so much to learn."