14

FOURTEEN
Bones
____________

"ARE YOU ALL RIGHT, KNUCKLES?" asked a very cold and timid Sonic as soon as they returned home.

Knuckles spat venomous sarcasm through a cracked voice. "Yes, Brother, I am perfect. Never better. My hand feels amazing."

Sonic knelt down in front of him. "Now might be a good time to teach me?"

"Sonic, he's in too much pain," whispered Tails, wrapped in a blanket.

Knuckles lifted his right hand carefully with his left, half screaming as Sonic gently took it. Then he actually screamed when Sonic removed the boxing glove.

"I'm sorry, I'm so, so sorry."

Knuckles punched the floor in agonized fury, mindful not to break it and cost their parents any more money; he was gasping for breath. Sonic waited for Knuckles to calm so he could speak and tell him what to do, but it seemed that it would never happen, so he closed his eyes and concentrated hard. Heal him, he told his power. Heal him. Fix him. Pretty please?

Knuckles softly groaned, exhaling sharply every other breath. Sonic heard Tails gasp, which meant it was working, so he didn't dare open his eyes in fear of breaking concentration.

Many minutes came and went, then it was over. The healing session ended. Sonic opened his eyes and Knuckles flexed his fingers, opening and closing.

"Quite good for a first try," he said after a pause. "You will make a worthy student when the time comes."

"Thanks?"

"You're welcome." Knuckles slipped his glove back on, punching the air a few times. Their eyes met, amethyst to emerald. "Is it true?"

"What?" asked Sonic stupidly.

"Do you still harbor resentment toward me?"

". . . Yeah. You're forgiven, but . . ."

"There is still anguish," Knuckles finished for him. "A pang of anger. Regrets."

Sonic reluctantly nodded.

"I understand."

"Do you? Really?"

The red echidna stood and hissed, "I wouldn't say if I didn't!"

"All right, jeez!"

Knuckles slipped on his glove and ventured outside to the patio, looking up. His brothers followed.

"Red is the color of danger," said the echidna, gesturing the sky. "And danger indeed—a great evil. I fear the comet is the impending doom Robotnik mentioned. Something bodes very ill, I can sense it."

"I think Faker mentioned a 'demon' and it 'destroying the world'?"

"He has a name, y'know," grumbled Tails, hands on his hips.

Sonic echoed his posture. "Oh yeah?"

"Yeah. His name is Shadow. Weren't you listening?"

"He hardly ever listens," added Knuckles. Sonic glared at him for that, but was ignored. The echidna went on. "We must attain the Chaos Emeralds and the Master—and soon. Shadow may have good intentions of destroying a great evil, but who is to say he can be trusted with ultimate power? He is already a . . . a beast, for lack of a better word." He looked at his hand, clenching it into a fist. Only moments ago it was broken beyond repair, crippled. "I will need more of his tale before I trust him."