oh, i used to say...

February 3, 1986.
Monday, 5:24 PM

Vickie was talking about something, Robin was spaced out, lost in her thoughts.

Again.

It kept happening.

Vickie paused, "hey, you okay?" She looked at Robin with a worried expression on her face.

"Huh? Me?" She snapped back to reality, looking back at Vickie. "Yeah, you, dummy," Vickie responded, chuckling.

"Um," Robin paused. "Yeah, I'm fine, just tired and thinking about stuff." Vickie looked at her skeptically, though that faded away quickly. She shrugged, "well, okay," and continued to talk about whatever it was on her own mind.

'Maybe I should tell her,' Robin thought to herself.

-

February 7, 1986
Friday, 10:54 PM

Robin was sitting on her bed, staring at the ground, thinking to herself. She had done that a lot, recently. She doesn't really wanna think right now. She wants to turn her brain off. Obviously, she can't, and that frustrates her just the tiniest bit.

The past couple days had been pretty okay, just the usual. Go to school, talk to Vickie, or go to work, and talk to Steve. That's all. It had been becoming mind-numbing and repetitive for Robin. She wished something interesting would happen. Not something crazy, like a repeat of the Mind Flayer and the crazy Russians or some shit. She doesn't want anything like that to happen ever again. That shit was fucking traumatic, honestly.

Just a little spice in her meaningless life would be nice, that's all she wanted.

She let out a loud sigh, and flopped back on her bed. She was staring at the ceiling now, not too different, still thinking. Maybe she could call Steve or something. Conversations with him were always nice.

She sat up, and went to call Steve.

She tapped her foot on the floor repeatedly, waiting for him to pick up. Shouldn't take too long. He's usually still awake at this time.

A few moments pass.

"Hello?" A voice comes on the phone. Robin jumps, kind of just forgetting to respond. "Uh, hello? Who's this?"

"Hi, Steve," Robin smiles. "Oh, Robin! Hey! Why'd you call? You need anything?" She leans against the wall. "Uh," she thinks for a second. "No, not really. Just wanted to call," she plays with the phone cord a bit. She continues, "there is something on my mind, though."

"Oh?" Steve pauses. You could hear him shift, as if he's getting comfortable for either a romance or a horror movie. For Robin, her love life is just a hilariously bad thriller. "What is it?" Steve says, intrigued.

Robin breathes in. "Well, um," she thinks. What should she say? "Yeah? I'm listening." She throws her head back. It hurts now, but she continues. "It's.. about Vickie," she sighs. Steve groans over the phone. "Again?" He says, exasperated.

Robin chuckles, "I know, I know," she smiles. "But you asked, so." Steve sighs. "Well, fair enough I guess." He shrugs, but realizes Robin can't see it. He kinda just.. got used to her always being there by his side. He missed her, though he sees her every single day. He knows she misses him too.

"So, you wanna elaborate? Tell me all about it?" Robin went silent. "Robs? You there?" She sighed. "Mhm. Just, there's not much to say."

Steve hummed. "Yeah, I understand that."

"You know," she paused. "I've been, uh, thinking about.. maybe confessing?" Steve lit up upon hearing this. "That's great!" But he paused. "Uh, doesn't she have a boyfriend, though?"

Robin breathed, "well, yeah, but she's been talking about breaking up with him a lot, so." She quietly tapped the wall repeatedly. "I don't know though, I definitely don't have a chance with her."

"Sure you do, Robs." Steve replied. "She'd be lucky to have you, y'know?," he reassured her. He continued, "you're one of the best people I know, genuinely."

Robin smiled, and chuckled. "Well then, who's the best person you know, Stevie?" She teased. "I.. well. That's a phone call for another day, Robin." She laughed. "Alright, then."

"Do you have a crush on anybody, Steve?"

"Hm. Well, I don't know, honestly."

"You don't know?"

"Yeah, I don't."

And then it went silent. Both of them didn't really know what to say next. So they just stayed silent for a few more moments. To break the silence, Robin just brings up some random memory from a few months ago.

So they just keep talking, and talking, about everything, ranging from random memories to Steve's exes, to Robin's past crushes, and so much more. They talked about anything and everything, and they loved it. Loved having a shoulder to cry on, loved having someone to ramble about just stupid and random things to, loved having someone they can trust. They loved eachother.

So, so much.

Robin looked at her clock. 2 hours had passed already. "Hey, Steve?"

"Yeah? What is it?"

"I think I might go to sleep, or something. It's almost 1 am, now."

"Oh, alright."

She smiled. "Good night, Steve."

"Good night, Robin."

-

February 11, 1986
Tuesday, 5:32 PM

Vickie had broken up with her boyfriend.

Robin honestly doesn't know what to do. Vickie's been ranting about it to her, and she gives her advice, comfort and reassurance. Obviously she does. They're friends, after all.

They're sat next to eachother on the grass, a tree behind them. Robin's leaning against the tree, just staring at the leaves, giving Vickie the occassional glance.

Vickie's just staring at the grass.

It's silent, but it's comfortable silence. It's nice, they stay like that for a while.

Robin breaks the silence, again. This time, with a confession.

"Hey, Vickie?"

Vickie looks up at her. "Yeah? What is it?" Robin breathes in. "I've been, meaning to tell you something for a while."

"Uh," she pauses."I like you, a lot. Romantically." Her heart is beating out of her chest, and she starts to sweat, because Vickie doesn't respond. She stares at her, almost.. sympathetically.

Robin shouldn't have said that. She feels stupid, now. Sure, it feels relieving to get it off her chest, but now she's stressing even moreso because of Vickie's reaction of simply staring at her.

Until she finally says something.

It's just an "oh."

And then an "I'm sorry," then while almost frowning, an "I don't think I.. reciprocate, Robin."

-

word count: 1052 words

a/n: next chapter will continue from the last scene!! sorry if this is bad, this was a bit rushed tbh lmao