𝙚𝙡𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣 | 𝙧𝙖𝙞𝙣 𝙘𝙝𝙚𝙘𝙠

"JOHANN SCHMIDT BELONGS IN A BUGHOUSE. He thinks he's a god and he's willing to blow up half the world to prove it, starting with the USA."

"Schmidt's working with powers beyond our abilities." Stark put in. "He gets across the Atlantic, he will wipe out the entire Eastern Seaboard in an hour."

Kallie frowned. "What's he got?"

"Big blue glowing cube. We don't know what it is but we do know it powers all their big bad weapons."

Her eyes widened, and she bit her lip to avoid a gasp. The Tesseract. He has the fucking Tesseract

"How much time we got?"

"According to my new best friend, under twenty four hours."

"Where is he now?"

"Hydra's last base is here. In the Alps. Five hundred feet below the surface."

"So what are we supposed to do?"

"I mean it's not like we can just knock on the front door."

"Why not?" Steve spoke up, the first words he'd said since arriving here. "That's exactly what we're gonna do."

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

can't have been
too much later...

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

ONE, TWO, THREE. Three zip lines smashed against stone, right above Schmidt's lovely windows. Kallie swung down with two others of the Howling Commandos, breaking through the glass without a scratch. 

While the other two shot up the room, Kallie snatched up Steve's shield, tossing it to him as she followed him out after Schmidt. The Red Skull shot back, using one of his blasters, almost every shot missing. And then Kallie's world went up in blue flames. The blast encircled her, but when she opened her eyes, they glimmered green. She opened her hands, and her own green energy consumed the blue, only giving her further power. "I'm alright!" She assured an astounded-looking Steve, and they continued on their chase. His shield lodged into a pair of quickly-closing doors before they could be shut out, and they were almost there when a man with a massive flamethrower stepped into their path. Steve was quick to grab Kallie by the waist, picking her up far too easily as he jumped behind a corner and out of the path of the flames. Gunfire suddenly brought the man down, and they stepped out to see Peggy holding the gun. 

Steve quickly stepped away from Kallie. "I, ah, sorry."

She blinked, looking slightly flustered for the first time, as though it was he who had caught her off-guard for once. "Um, yes, of course. Nothing to worry about..." Her face flushed slightly as they continued on running. When several men emerged to stop them, Kallie gave Steve a nod. He leapt right over whilst she remained behind to occupy them. One man down. Two. Three. Four. Her blade was a blur in the air, her body twisting and spinning away from bullets and punches as she brought them all to the ground. Five. Six. Seven. Eight. Nine. Ten. Eleven. Twelve.

When she was done with them, she hurried out to find Peggy and Colonel Philips waiting for her. "Where is he?"

"On the ship." Peggy replied, immediately understanding. "He went after Schmidt. We're headed up to comms to make contact." 

Kallie nodded. "Shall we, then?" But on the way up their steps, she gave a gasp, falling to one knee. A strange power seemed to resonate from somewhere nearby, syncing up a little too perfectly with her intuition. The Tesseract. It's been unleashed

"You alright?" Peggy wondered, placing a hand on her friend's arm. 

Kallie nodded, getting back to her feet. "Just..." She faltered, remembering the Colonel was still there. "Just a broken rib. Come on." 

The comms room was rather a disaster, scattered papers and dead men all over the floor, but what was important was that everything was still operational, and eventually, a voice came through.

"Come in. This is Captain Rogers. Do you read me?"

Kallie immediately leapt to the comms. "Steve, are you alright??"

"Kallie! Schmidt's dead!"

"What about the plane?"

"That's a little bit tougher to explain."

"Alright, give me your coordinates. I'll find you a safe landing site."

"There's not gonna be a safe landing. But I can try and force it down."

She bit her lip, heart racing faster with fear. "I'll get Howard on the line. He'll know what to do." But she knew she was grasping at straws. 

"There's not enough time. This thing's moving too fast and it's heading for New York. I gotta put her in the water."

"Steve, don't." She begged. "Don't do it, we have time. We'll figure something out..."

"Right now I'm in the middle of nowhere. If I wait any longer, a lot of people are gonna die. Kallie, this is my choice. But you'll still have time to make yours." He was quiet for a moment, and a tear slid down her cheek. "Kallie?"

"I'm here." She promised, though her voice shook.

"I guess I'll need a rain check on that dance, huh?"

"A week next Saturday. At the Stork Club. 8:00."

"You got it. But I, ah, I still don't know how to dance."

Her laugh tangled with a sob in her throat. "I'll teach you. Just be there and don't you dare be late."

"We'll have the band play something slow. I'd hate to step on your-" The radio dropped dead, static on the other end. 

Kallie stared at it with teary eyes, some part of her still locked in denial. "Steve?" She whispered. "Steve!" Her sobs pulled themselves from her chest, her eyes squeezed shut as she shook. There was a long moment before a terrible cry escaped her, a wretched sound of tragedy and pain, and as it echoed through the room, the base was rocked with a blast of green. When the light subsided, Kallie was nowhere to be found. 

A/N
So the story is almost over, and I know that was a short one, but I'm writing up the second one as fast as these poor fingers can type so hang in there lovely birdies! It's coming soon! <3