You Can't Always Win (But Pick Up Your Sword Anyway)

Scott's POV
"You will suffer for the sins you have committed!" Joey declared, as we fought off his ravengers. I saw him coming towards me, and I quickly threw an ender pearl. "And here's a little gift for you Scott!"

"I... don't want to deal with that." I said, teleporting a second after. Landing near the corruption, I started running over to the cage. "Shelby!"

Shelby gasped, "hey!"

"Shelby, how did you get here?" I asked.

"Joey put me—"

"Oh!" I jumped, taken aback when Xornoth dropped out of nowhere, less then seven feet away. Shelby gasped over head, as I backed away.

"Get out." Xornoth ordered.

"No... no. You can't keep doing this." I said, shaking my head.

"I do what I want." He hissed.

"Your time is over Xornoth," I told him calmly, lifting my sword. "You've run rampant too long now."

"Come and get me" He said with a threatening tone.

"I will." I stated.

'Whatever it takes to stop you.' I thought.

"You've ruined my life! You've ruined my friend's lives for too long!"

"I'll end their lives soon..."

"Ever since I knew about you my life went downhill!"

"Missed you too, brother."

"You've had your chance, Xornoth. And now you need to leave."

"Awww but we're having so much fun."

"I'm not letting you hurt my friends like you've hurt the people in the past!"

"They had it coming! And so do you!"

"If it wasn't for you mom and dad would still be here!"

"They picked their side!

I!

Regret!

NOTHING!"

Reality felt shifted and warped, and suddenly I was teleported again. I got up from where I had been thrown to the ground and looked around. I quickly realized I was on top of the mountain of corruption, in front of me I watched as Gem and Pearl were shot out of the sky with arrows, their wings breaking. Behind me was a cliff, falling of into the ocean below. I looked down and noticed a small box on the ground and quickly went to grab it.

"Aww lose something?" Xornoth taunted.

I shoved the box back in my pocket. "Nothing that concerns you." I shot back.

"Now, now brother. And I thought I had the temper." Xornoth said venomously. "I know your going to be a thorn in my side if I don't take care of you first."

"I won't let you get away with this!" I yelled at him. I could feel something shift inside of me. A memory pressing itself to the surface.

"Be careful my champion."

"What if he kills me?"

"He cannot kill you without destroying himself. You will be born again, and he will find you. Your fight will not be over."

"I... I understand. Thank you for your knowledge, Aeor."

I shook my head. Was that... a vision? Of my past life?

I looked at Xornoth, realization hitting me. He couldn't kill me without ending himself.

I knew what I needed to do.

"Scott!" Gem yelled from below. "Don't worry! Help is on the way! The others are coming!"

"Well then brother, looks like your all alone. It's a shame your friends won't make it here in time. By then you'll already be under my control." Xornoth said, coming closer. I stepped back. He tilted his head, chuckling. "You don't even stand a chance."

"That's... the difference between us." I said calmly, as I walked backwards. "I don't need people to do my work for me. And I don't always put myself first."

I took another step back.

"And I've made plenty of mistakes, and I've hurt people."

"Three more steps." I thought.

"But I've always done my best."

"Two."

"And for the first time... in a long time. I finally know what I need to do for my friends."

"One."

"I don't need to kill you. Not when I'm right here." I smiled as Xornoth's face shifted from confusion, to understanding, to anger.

I stepped off the cliff.

"NOOOOOOOOO!"

"Scott!" A chorus of voices echoed. But with the wind in my ears it was hard to hear them.

I closed my eyes as I slipped a hand into my pocket, grasping the small velvet box. I hit the water, pain flooding my body.

"Champion." I heard a voice say.

"Aeor..." I thought, my eyes snapping open, salt water burning my eyes and my lungs. My chest heaved as my breathe started to run out. "I'm sorry... I failed you."

"No. You've done well." Aeor's voice said in my mind. "You may rest now, Champion. I'll see you in your next life."

"Yeah... the next life." I thought, I could feel myself fading, and I closed my eyes as everything began to fade to black.