Chapter 5

________________________

"Kahit sabihan niyo pa kaming tumigil na kami sa aming mga pag sigaw sa kalsada, hinding hindi niyo kami mapapatahimik, dahil karapatan naming magsalita sa mga katiwaliang ginagawa ninyo!"

Ah, I am once again listening to her speak her heart out in front of a crowd filled with progressives. While the police still kept their stance in front of them a few inches away. 

I was with my internship crew, grabbing information and taking notes for my article this day. But my eyes never left her presence. The moment I finished writing my paragraph— I would look at her once more.

"Kaya tigilan niyo na ang pagpatay at pagkulong sa karamihan sa amin! Dahil kahit subukan niyong patigilin kami, hinding hindi namin gagawin 'yun, hangga't hindi rin kayo titigil sa mga pasistang gawain niyo!" 

I felt the corner of my lips stretching from side to side unconsciously as I listen to her powerful speech slipping out of her mouth once in a while. 

She's not just a woman, she's a woman filled with strong intrepidity, a woman with a tenacious expression.

"Reese, done with writing and documenting?" my classmate who is also doing his internship with me, asking as I was just focused at Leo delivering her speech to the public— which made me snap out from zoning out and forgetting about reality for a while.

 I looked up at my classmate who was just standing beside me, "Yeah, I am about to finish. How's the pictures there sa camera mo? Okay na?" I answered.

"I am done with the pictures naman na, yung documents nalang kailangan and the summary. Bigay mo nalang kay boss after ah?" 

"Sure sure, I'll hand it to her later. Thank you, Niko." 

After our brief conversation about the internship assignments, I returned to the state of forgetting the surroundings for a while to look at her from afar. 

But of course, I still kept on taking notes while I listen to her. Pen held using my right hand, board and paper resting above my lap, eyes and ears focused at the Chairperson

To me, she's my escape through the stressful environment. 

________________________

"Thank you for meeting me here again as soon as I sent a message to you after doing my internships." 

I thanked her as I bit down on my own isaw stick. The two of us only, in our own world— acknowledging just each other's existence. 

We're at our usual spot again, near a stand where we can buy isaw everytime we hang out.

"Syempre naman, maglalaan ako oras para sa mga taong malapit na sa akin. You're one of them naman. Kaya, andito ako ngayon, kumakain ng isaw kasama ka ulit." 

Oh. I am already special to her? That was surely fast... but I won't complain. It's better than being just a friend anyway. At least, I mean something to her now. 

I smiled at her sentence, "Aw. Thank you. I just want to say to you once more that your words never fail to empower me as well. Galing mo talaga mag deliver ng speech." 

And she smiled at me as well, "Ayun naman talaga pakay ko, to empower people and to give them the courage they deserve. Ikaw, kasama ka dun, and masarap pakinggan na naeempower ka nga." 

God.. my stomach is churning up. This is the butterflies I've been looking for. 

My cheeks are starting to feel warm— starting to turn into the color pink. I am trying to hide it from her, I don't want to look embarrassed around her. 

"Yeah. Malakas impact ng mga words mo. It makes me want to study more about activism and such." 

"Uy, pwede naman! Sama ka sa mga talakayan namin! As I said, every one's welcome. Chat nalang kita kung kelan pwede, hm?" 

Joining in a discourse about activism with her as the lecturer? That would be the cup of tea that I can sip.

"Sure, I can go naman. Maiba ako, what course are you taking pala?" Yeah, I haven't asked about her course. I was too focused about her being a Chairperson.

"Law Student ako. Malapit na rin ako mag bar exams, baka next year na."

"Future Attorney! Nice! That's good," I beamed. "If ever you pass, pero alam kong mapapasa mo naman yun, can I celebrate with you?" 

Her nod as a response with her quintessential and significant smile— which is the main reason why I fell even harder.

"Walang problema! Pwede tayo kumain sa mga resto! Kahit sagot ko na bayad, walang problema sa akin." she said that with a jubilant voice.

"Pwede, kahit hindi ka pa pumapasa or nag b-bar, can I take you on a coffee shop date? If you're into coffee. Kung hindi, then I'll take you somewhere else." 

Her eyebrows went up immediately, "Uy mahal na mahal ko kaya 'yang kape! Sige lang!"

Mahal na mahal kaya kita.

"Sige. I'll chat you nalang if ever. Tell me if you're free or not. Is that alright, Attorney Leo?"

A soft giggle slipped out of her, oh to hear that everyday. "Walang problema dun, Journalist Reese. Masarap mag coffee date, mas makikilala pa natin isa't isa habang iniinom natin mga paborito nating timpla."

And even if it's not happening yet, I can see that upcoming future between us. Smelling the scent of coffee brewing, in an atmosphere where we can feel cozy with each other. 

I want to taste coffee with you around me, Leo.

________________________