Kabanata 3

I immediately called Cielo the moment Warrion and I were outside the high-rise building and back in the car

I immediately called Cielo the moment Warrion and I were outside the high-rise building and back in the car. My son kept on crying and with a heavy heart, I forced to ignore him. Right now, I needed to talk to my sister and tell her that I was backing out from that gig she offered me.

“Tash? Hey! You called. Why?” Cielo asked on her line, her voice etched with worries. “May problema ba, hmm? May nangyari ba sa inyo ni Warrion diyan? Do you need something? Tell me, how can I help?”

I closed my eyes tightly. This. Her kindness to us was the very reason I had to distant ourselves to that guy Warren Gideon Arespacochaga. My sister was too good and I did not want Warrion and I to hinder that happiness she was feeling right now. We would never stand in the way to her happily ever after. Kaya naman kung kinakailangan naming lumayo ni Warrion at ako na manahimik na lang habambuhay ng tungkol sa relasyon ng anak ko sa lalaking nagugustuhan niya ay gagawin ko para maibigay lang sa kapatid ko ‘yong kasiyahan niya. She deserved it. More than anyone in this world, she deserved to be happy. So, if that man was really the guy she was talking about that she was in love with, kaming dalawa na ni Warrion ang mag-aadjust. Besides, he couldn’t remember anything that happened between us several years ago. Maybe just like me, he was too drunk that night. I also believed that he didn’t want complications in his life. Warrion being his son was going to be a huge scandal and he surely wouldn’t want to ruin his career, lalo na at sikat na sikat sila. Alam kong hindi ko dapat na pinangungunahan ang lahat, but I was just looking at the reality. Magugulo lang pare-pareho ang mga mundo namin kapag nabunyag ang totoo.

“Tash, hey, are you still there? Nawala ka na,” Cielo asked that brought me back to my senses. “I am starting to worry now. May problema ba riyan, hmm? Tell me, pupuwede ko namang kausapin ‘yong boss ko na uuwi muna ako.”

I ignored and swallowed down the ache I did not know where was coming from deep inside me before opening my mouth to speak.

“No! We are okay! I, ah, actually called to talk about that cleaning job you offered me. I don’t think I can still do it, Cielo,” sabi ko.

“Huh? Why?” kuryosong tanong niya. “Tash, sayang naman ‘yong fifty thousand! Ang sabi mo ay okay na okay ka roon? At hindi ba ay ngayong araw ka magsisimula? You just told me that you are about to go there.”

I got tongue-tied, couldn’t lie to her but I had to.

“Ah, kasi, nakahanap na ako ng full time job. And it will pay me just enough. Hindi ko na matatanggap ‘yong gig na sinasabi mo kasi magiging conflict sa schedule ko,” dahilan ko. “Pero nalinis ko naman ‘yong unit. Ano, nakilala ko na rin ‘yong may-ari at nagsabi na rin ako sa kaniya na magku-quit na ako. I already explained everything to him. You don’t have to worry.”

“You’ve met him already?” she asked.

A boulder lumped in my throat.

Why this thing had to hurt?