Chapter 5- The Day He Left

Tom Nook was a young tanuki. A fresh eighteen year old with no experience in the city. A gullible new face to the world. And boy was he excited.

Currently he had just been freeloading off of a friend that had lived in the city for about a year, but he wouldn't be for long. He wanted his own apartment, and a stable job, and to make his mark. No doubt about it, Tom wanted to make an impact on this world.

"Excuse me!" Tom gave a friendly smile to the employee at the local convenience store, "Can I take an application? I kinda need a job."

"Sure, why not," the hippo working at the counter said, handing him a greasy, crumpled up application form, "Take it kid."

"Thank you so much!" Tom cheerfully smiled, waving as he left.

He went across the street to a store he'd already applied too, "Hi! I'm here for the interview?" Tom hadn't done many interviews, so he was fairly nervous for it.

"Oh yeah sorry kid," the hiring manager cringed, "We actually decided to hire someone with a bit more experience than you. Maybe try something a bit slower and more entry level?"

"This is entry level though?" Tom thought to himself

"Are you sure there's not a chance I could-"

"I said beat it you damn raccoon," they snarled, "You're holding up business."

"R-right," Tom stood to attention anxiously, "S-sorry."

It's been going on like this for months. Tom would apply, Tom would nail the interview, he'd get ignored completely for someone who was a bit less like him.

He sighed, brushing himself off to try and maintain a professional appearance. He vowed from this day on, if he ever started a big business of his own, he'd wear casual clothing every day and never enforce a uniform on his employees unless things were desperate.

He knew he couldn't keep going on like this. If he couldn't even assist in the rent, his friend would kick him out, and he wasn't quite ready to try out homelessness. It wasn't very good for business.

"Oh, what am I gonna do," Tom sighed to himself.

"Now hiring! Someone, anyone! I'll pay you I swear!" the sound of a very handsome, but audibly shifty voice called to all the people walking by, "I'm desperate for help here! Please!"

"Hey!" Tom followed the sound of the voice, "Hey! Are you really hiring?"

"Hmm?" the voice hummed, "Where are you? I can't see you kid." The hoards of people moved aside and Tom finally got a look at who was yelling, "Ah! There you are kid!"

Tom gulped. The man in front of him was a very handsome young fox, "I- I heard you shout that you were hiring!" Tom nervously sputtered, "Do you an application form?"

"Application form? I'm too desperate for one of those," the fox waved it off, "Consider this the interview."

"Oh great!" Tom said, "So what am I applying for?"

"Well," the fox said, "I kinda started a small business where I sell my paintings and handmade trinkets. It's actually going pretty well, and I have enough money to support myself and some employees if needed, but you see...when I get this money....I kinda...you know?"

"Ah, you need someone to manage finances," Tom nodded.

"Yeah," the fox chuckled, "I never really excelled in math. I was always a shop class kid. But I'm serious about this business! I want to make it big one day! All I need is the financial comprehension to get it done."